Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chrome copper water pipe?

Hi,

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd be
happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for olive
onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the chrome
fall off?)

Ta

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:06:25 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Hi,

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd be
happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for olive
onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the chrome
fall off?)

Ta

Tim

I prefer soldered connections wherever access to make the joint is easy
enough, but that's a personal preference and have used pushfit where access
is difficult - you do need to strip the chrome for pushfit. Sorry can't
help about compression.

I have been told here before that the chrome cracks off if you bend the
pipe, but I have managed to make s-bends with no problem.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker coughed up some electrons that declared:

I prefer soldered connections wherever access to make the joint is easy
enough, but that's a personal preference and have used pushfit where
access is difficult - you do need to strip the chrome for pushfit. Sorry
can't help about compression.

Yes - I'd come across this. I'll be soldering on easy and critical sections
(eg where pipe passes over CU)

I have been told here before that the chrome cracks off if you bend the
pipe, but I have managed to make s-bends with no problem.

That's encouraging - thanks

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:06:25 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

You can use compression directly onto chromed pipe. I always use brass
rather than copper olives, to give them a chance of biting into the harder
chromed surface.

For solder or pushfit you do have to remove the chrome, and it's difficult
to get a smooth enough surface that I'd be very happy with pushfit.

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for
olive onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the
chrome fall off?)

It doesn't fall off, but isn't as shiny on the bent section.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:06:25 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

You can use compression directly onto chromed pipe. I always use brass
rather than copper olives, to give them a chance of biting into the harder
chromed surface.

For solder or pushfit you do have to remove the chrome, and it's difficult
to get a smooth enough surface that I'd be very happy with pushfit.

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for
olive onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the
chrome fall off?)

It doesn't fall off, but isn't as shiny on the bent section.

Thank you John.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd be
happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for olive
onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the chrome
fall off?)

I've never had any problems bending chrome plated pipe using a proper
pipe bender.

For removing the chrome I have used either a grinding wheel or latterly
a Tormek water cooled stone which if you rotate the pipe as the wheel
rotates gives a surprisingly good finish. Certainly no problems with
soldered joints - don't know if it would be good enough for push-fit though.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd
be happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

I've used a chrome paint (little pot bought in Halfords) which looks very
much like brushed stainless steel in practice. Mainly for radiator tails.
Maybe not quite as good as proper chrome but much nicer than white or
painting to match the room decor.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd be
happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Mrs F. expressed disdain at the thought of having polished copper on
show. So we had to use something shiny.

It was going to be chromed copper, but stainless worked out cheaper and
less likely to have problems - I've seen chrome peel and pit in some
areas of use, notably outside which was one place (the gardener's loo)
where she wanted chrome tube used.

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Compression, attempting to solder will just look vile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Compression works ok, there is no need to file the chrome off. However
you will need to do them up a little tighter than on plain pipe.

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for olive
onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Basically - but see the note on tightness - its harder for the olive to
get a good grip.

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the chrome
fall off?)

With decent pipe it bends ok. Sometimes I leave it in the plastic bag it
comes in while bending. Saves the bender from scratching up the outside
too much.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 10:06, Tim S wrote:

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

Compression.

Chrome plating isn't hard. _Hard_ chrome plating is hard. It's a
different process: thicker for one thing, and not plated onto copper.
Where thin decorative chrome is on copper pipe it's still soft (at the
dimensions of an olive edge), even if it's microscopically hard enough
to resist scratching.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Jun 2009 09:44:19 GMT, YAPH had this to say:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:06:25 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

You can use compression directly onto chromed pipe. I always use brass
rather than copper olives, to give them a chance of biting into the harder
chromed surface.

For solder or pushfit you do have to remove the chrome, and it's difficult
to get a smooth enough surface that I'd be very happy with pushfit.

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for
olive onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the
chrome fall off?)

It doesn't fall off, but isn't as shiny on the bent section.

For visible pipework in the bathroom I've used stainless steel rather
than chrome-plated.
It's not exactly easy to bend, so I used (chrome-plated!) elbows.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 11:18, (Steve Firth) wrote:

Compression, attempting to solder will just look vile.

Silver solder looks nice, but it's pricey and really only for
decorative use, not mundane plumbing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Compression, attempting to solder will just look vile.

Silver solder looks nice, but it's pricey and really only for
decorative use, not mundane plumbing.

Wouldn't the heat needed for this 'blue' the chrome?

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 16 June, 11:18, (Steve Firth) wrote:

Compression, attempting to solder will just look vile.

Silver solder looks nice, but it's pricey and really only for
decorative use, not mundane plumbing.

But IMO a pain in the arse because of the work you have to do cleaning
off firestain afterwards and there's the work you have to do "tinning"
the bits you scraped the chrome off or you get green/brown bands at each
fitting.

I've just brazed up a toy kid's pushchair for my mumblechild who
thought that getting her brother to jump into it was a good idea, and
then got upset because her doll kept falling out of it because the frame
was broken. I used nickel/silver for that, nice colour and all that but
now I have to repaint the entire frame after grinding the joints smooth
because of the 1in band of firestained tube at each brazed joint.

I'd hate to have to do that on more than a couple of joints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd
be happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

I've used a chrome paint (little pot bought in Halfords) which looks very
much like brushed stainless steel in practice. Mainly for radiator tails.
Maybe not quite as good as proper chrome but much nicer than white or
painting to match the room decor.

That's a funky idea - I'll keep that in mind :0

Ta

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd
be happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Mrs F. expressed disdain at the thought of having polished copper on
show. So we had to use something shiny.

It was going to be chromed copper, but stainless worked out cheaper and
less likely to have problems - I've seen chrome peel and pit in some
areas of use, notably outside which was one place (the gardener's loo)
where she wanted chrome tube used.

Funny you should say that Steve. I was sure that my dad used SS on a shower
a long time back.

I went searching and only came up with chromed copper.

But SS would be good - not sure if my pipe bender would handle it though -
that's the only downside. This is 22mm and copper's hard enough!

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Compression, attempting to solder will just look vile.

Aye - that's less of an issue. I plan to use a single 3m length, bent and
inserted whole such the the joints will either be behind a cupboard or in
the roof. Back to normal copper thereafter.

Ta

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Compression works ok, there is no need to file the chrome off. However
you will need to do them up a little tighter than on plain pipe.

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for
olive onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Basically - but see the note on tightness - its harder for the olive to
get a good grip.

OK

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the
chrome fall off?)

With decent pipe it bends ok. Sometimes I leave it in the plastic bag it
comes in while bending. Saves the bender from scratching up the outside
too much.

That's a good idea. I've got a pipe bender that's OK (not great, but it
doesn't slide the pipe so it will probably not cause any damage.

Ta

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 13:17, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Silver solder looks nice, but it's pricey and really only for
decorative use, not mundane plumbing.

Wouldn't the heat needed for this 'blue' the chrome?

No so that a buff with Autosol wouldn't shift it.

Depends a bit on which grade of silver solder you use, but especially
if you're using old stock with cadmimum the temperature can be pretty
low. Low enough that firescale isn't a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
I've used a chrome paint (little pot bought in Halfords) which looks
very much like brushed stainless steel in practice. Mainly for
radiator tails. Maybe not quite as good as proper chrome but much
nicer than white or painting to match the room decor.

That's a funky idea - I'll keep that in mind :0

I have an SS ladder type towel rail in the bathroom mounted quite high up
so the tails feeding it are pretty visible. I've used a chrome TRV etc and
the carefully bent tails go into the wall then run down to the floor
behind the tiles. And the painted tails look to me pretty good. I'll post
a pic if anyone wants.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd be
happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for olive
onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the chrome
fall off?)

Ta

Tim

Use chrome compression fittings - bog standard. I've not bent chrome
pipe but seen the odd offset double bend in pub toilets and not noticed
chrome coming off.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
[...]

Why do gents urinals have to have that offset double bend?

It cannot be to difficult to make a urinal that allows a straight pipe
connection. And yes I struggled getting the bend right on the only one I
have fitted.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:
I'll post
a pic if anyone wants.

Please - that would be interesting

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:
I'll post
a pic if anyone wants.

Please - that would be interesting

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...Olympus072.jpg

Cheers

Tim

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*