Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Chrome copper water pipe?

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

SWMBO has requested said pipe for a few areas which will be on show (I'd be
happy to polish and lacquer the copper but there you go).

Which would be the most advised method for jointing?

File the chrome off and solder or compression?

Anything to watch out for with compression - or is it just a case for olive
onto chrome pipe and do up in the normal way?

Another one:

Does chrome pipe bend OK in a bending machine? (Thinking: or does the chrome
fall off?)

I've never had any problems bending chrome plated pipe using a proper
pipe bender.

For removing the chrome I have used either a grinding wheel or latterly
a Tormek water cooled stone which if you rotate the pipe as the wheel
rotates gives a surprisingly good finish. Certainly no problems with
soldered joints - don't know if it would be good enough for push-fit though.

Andrew