Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Wiki: Rivet

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:18:03 +0100, Dave wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:37:15 +0100, Dave wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:44:34 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Another one to play with:

There are 2 main types of '''Rivet'''
* Solid metal rivet, fitted by hammering
* blind hollow rivet
There's also a type that I have used in the past that have a domed head and
a shank with a grooved twist (like externally rifled solid rivet) that are
simply hammered into an accurately sized hole through the two pieces of
metal. The end is not hammered over.
Just did a google for hammer drive screws and came up with

http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acat...ound_Head.html
Dave

Ah, that looks familiar. Glad you remembered, it was in the early eighties
that I used them - around the smokebox of a 5" gauge Simplex loco that I
was building with my father. It's a pity we never finished it - we got it
running on compressed air, but didn't trust our silver soldering skills and
couldn't afford to buy a ready-made boiler. I did suggest that now he's
retired he should buy a boiler and get it finished for my kids, as we've
got a handy 2200 foot track (that I helped build) less than half a mile
away from here.

I would urge you to get the original boiler up and running. G Dad will
impress his g children all that much more. If you fear the boiler may
explode, get some good quality hard plastic between the engine and
observers, or take them back quite some way and just protect the engineer.

2200 feet of track? What is the first 2 of your postcode? I have never
heard of that much track being available.

Dave

M41

Take a look at http://www.udmes.co.uk/

The track is dual gauge 3-1/2" and 5", extending round most of the park,
with a second 500 feet track for those that don't want to run passenger
trains. Until the larger track was built in the early '80s there used to be
two 500 feet tracks. It's elevated, so an easy driving position, but of
course that means traversers rather than points - when they still had the
two 500 feet tracks, they were very basic and built using the bases of
barbers chairs, which if jacked high enough would lift above the vertical
guides and allow the track section to be spun right round to reverse a
loco. In those days they had a good supply of Welsh steam coal, but these
days they can only get hold of filthy stuff that covers everyone.

SteveW