Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default NiMH Batterys

The message
from "Arfa Daily" contains these words:

Hand held GPS can be useful even to those who can navigate the old
fashioned way. However I remain to be convinced of the usefulness of a
compass whose accuracy is quoted as plus/minus 5 degrees.

Might be good enough to get you going in at least the right general
direction, if you were stuck in some wilderness or on the sea in really bad
weather, with no map data for the area, loaded ??

Looking at moss on the N side of trees or one of the other natural
indicators will probably give as good an indication of N as the
electronic compass but that is not really the point. If you are moving
the map screen will automatically orient so you will know which way you
are going even if you don't know what it is ahead and even if you have
the typical handheld which has a map screen that tells you almost
nothing about the topography.

Personally I always carry a proper compass and at least a printout of
the map when I am out walking in unfamiliar areas. I will use the map as
the principal navigational tool and will take a bearing with the compass
if I need to identify a feature in the distance.

--
Roger Chapman