Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Possible problem regarding selling a house

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:39:39 -0700, NT wrote:

On Jun 15, 8:00*pm, Cicero wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:16:53 -0700, NT wrote:
On Jun 15, 6:46*pm, Cicero wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:17:23 -0700, NT wrote:

"The house and land are sold as seen, as is normally the case with
property sales. The responsibility lies fully with you and your
surveyor to determine whether you think there are any issues with
the property that might affect the price you are willing to pay. I
do not intend to take on any of this responsibility or create a
situation in which lawyers can get rich deciding who might or
might not be responsible for what, and I presume your surveyor is
suitably insured against such eventualities. I presume also that
you will fully insure the property if you purchase it."

NT

Since you don't state a source for your quotation it has very little
value.

That is simply illogical.

It isn't remotely illogical.

The whole point of presenting a quotation such as you've produced is to
give an authoritative view on a subject.

no, its to provide material to discuss. If you dont want to discuss its
merits or demerits, ok.

NT

I'm afraid you've lost the plot.

You presented your quotation to counter my comments and those of another
poster, and you presented it without any introduction, explanation or
source.

Quotations are widely accepted as means of presenting an authoritative
opinion on a subject but their value derives from the status of the person
or organisation quoted. A recognised and respected expert's opinion
carries weight; the quotation you offered, without attribution, would be
seen by many people as trivial, inaccurate and misleading.

If you want the offered quotation to be considered worthy of discussion,
just follow convention and quote the source and the circumstances in which
it was made. Without a source it has little or no merit.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door