Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Volts and AC's and DC's and Gar. Door Opener

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:23:18 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:11:12 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:44:22 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:06:28 -0400, mm wrote:

I think it unlikely it has to jibe. (Jive is something else.)

I doubt the receiver requires clean or regulated power, and anything
the "converter" puts out is probably fine, but you have to get the
positve and negative correct. Does the receiver say which is supposed
to be which?

It sez polarity doesn't matter. Like for the push-button.

It couldn't say that. There's a big difference btween a power supply
and a switch.

IF the unit has a bridge rectifier on the input it could run either
plarity OR AC.

But he said about the receiver "runs on 12v DC 100mA." I presume
that's from the label. If they went to the trouble to put in a bridge
rectifier, the label would say that it could run on AC also.

How many devices start off with a bridge rectifier and say that they
will run on either DC or AC? Other than a 110 volt tube radio, I've
never seen one.

Otherwize, power polarity WILL matter. Switch polarity
will not if it is either relay or MosFet switched. It will if it is
darlington switched (or SCR)