Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default Wingers at Work = Nonsense!

axolotl wrote:
David R.Birch wrote:

I googled and "Snoped" this and didn't find anything, but I don't see
where it contradicts my response to the original post. I know of at
least one VFW post that was told to turn in their govt loaned M1903
and M1917 rifles, presumably for CMP distribution, but were never
provided with a serial number list. It still looks like a fishing
expedition resulting in serial number registration where the govt
can't identify specific rifles but wants the VFW posts to tell them
what they have.

I say, have the govt send a list of what the govt thinks the VFW posts
are supposed to have.

I guess I don't get your beef. There is no argument that the weapons
belong to DA.

Yes, there is. Rifles suitable for honor guards are often donated to
VFW posts. How do you know if that M1903 or M1917 is a loaner or a
donation?

DA is belatedly trying to get a handle on the weapons it
_loaned_ out. You want to give them a hard time because they might
"grab" their weapons back.

Why would the DA care about an arm so obsolete? If they can identify
what they loaned out, fine, if they can't, why should that be the
problem of the VFW post?

I don't know how these weapons are distributed. But I can assure you
that if you give DA a hard time, they can find a reason not to do it any
more.

They haven't done it in a LONG time anyway. Surplus obsolete riles now
go to the CMP.

David