Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Built-in house vacuum.

On Jun 15, 3:51*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

No one I know (several) has stopped using their BI Vac. *The hoses are
actually LIGHTER than pulling any normal type of vac around.
IF you have one and the hose is heavy, it must be over 10 years old and can
be replaced for less than buying "another" vac.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems could be
installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house.

You don't have one do you ? *Taking the dust bucket off the bottom to empty
it doesn't require you to spread dust around.

Or perhaps the canister could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Sure, just dig an underground tunnel for the 2" PVC piping and run
electrical conduit out to the shed for the outlet..No PROBLEM !

Nearly all the ones I ve seen are mounted in the (attached) garage. *If
there is no garage, then I ve seen one in a crawlspace.

Suggetstion welcomed

I suggest you stick with the regular push vac.

Well in this 39 year old house we do. It's an ancient Eureka some 50
years old, basically the same design as the Hoover my mother had pre
WWII. Bags for Eureka still cheap and easy to obtain.
Two or three relatives have newer homes with central vacs. but don't
use them!
One of these days I may get hold of a central canister unit and
install it it in shed #2 which is contiguous to the house. With a full
but unfinished 48 by 35 basement workshop it would not be too hard to
install a number ot outlets and the unit would be most convenient for
also dusting the workshop. The attached garage is on the N.East side
of the house and is more windy. The shed is already wired and its door
facing S.East much less windy.
Thanks for the comments. I think my son found a spare hose. in house
he recently bought. But no central vac!
Also got a couple of wet/dry shop vacs' both have been rebuilt into
plastic 5 gallon pails/buckets because their original tin canisters
rusted out! At least one of them is otherwise about 40+ years old!