Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bog Cistern Inlet Thread ...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
What size is the thread on a bog cistern ball valve (traditional
ball and arm type, plastic inlet) ? Is it 3/4 BSP same as a tap
fitting ? Need to fly into B n Q or somewhere quick at lunchtime to
pick a fitting up for emergency leak repair at aging mother's later
today (got called out at 11:30 pm last night ... :-\ )

Yes - same as a tap. I had problems getting a good seal with mine -
the pipework is copper. So used some Fernox LSX.

This is a side entry valve that is fed from a vertical copper pipe,
using a right-angled connector. It has all been painted for many
years. It has just suddenly started dripping from the connector. I
pulled a further pinch up on it, but no help. As the ball valve
itself is plastic, I guess it's got to be some kind of corrosion in
the connector. Casting around in my plumbing bits, I have just come
across a short flexi with a right-angled 3/4 BSP (I think) on one end
and a 15mm push fitting on the other. It came as one of a pair with a
replacement shower pump, but I did not used them, as the original
pipes were still ok, so I just screwed them straight onto the new
pump. If this little flexi fits the ball valve inlet ok, then I guess
it will be a quick way of doing the repair, although I might take
advantage of having the water off, to fit a service valve in the
line.

Pound to a pinch of poop its either the fibre washer or the tap connector
is not dead inline with the plastic inlet.

Overcome both by using a flexible (which has a big rubber washer). Don't
forget to remove the paint from the old pipe before you connect the
pushfit or whatever.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Yep - I wanted to fit a flexi, but even the shortest one would have been too
long for the space I had, so would have had to have been seriously 'curled
up'. I sorted it all in the end, and yes, the alignment of the valve and
connector was an issue - see my other post replying to Dave P elsewhere in
the thread.

Arfa