Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Wiki: Rivet

Steve Walker wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:44:34 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Another one to play with:

There are 2 main types of '''Rivet'''
* Solid metal rivet, fitted by hammering
* blind hollow rivet

There's also a type that I have used in the past that have a domed head and
a shank with a grooved twist (like externally rifled solid rivet) that are
simply hammered into an accurately sized hole through the two pieces of
metal. The end is not hammered over.

Yes, the last time I remember seeing them must have been in 1975 and I
can't for the life of me remember what they were callled. Instinct says
that they were not described as a rivet, but it's been a long time.

Dave