Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default MDPE copper unions?

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Arrg. Too many options...

I need one underground 15mm copper to 25mm MDPE union and one 22mm copper
(or 3/4" BSP) to 25mm MDPE union.

JG Speedfit say their ones are no good underground.

Another says "do not use where end loading is possible".

Another suggests that you need 25-22 reducers before you can use the bunch
of washers and widgets.

All I need are simple, buriable robust adaptors.

Any recommendations?

Ta

Tim

Righty ho...

Done the job:

Inside the house, 25mm MDPE to 22mm copper stopcock is done with
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/168.asp part number 11330

Very pleasing and simple and slim (ish).

First solder the brass 22mm tail into a solder coupler and a bit of 22mm
pipe on the other side. Lots of heat needed but easy with a normal
blowtorch.

Then insert copper insert into MDPE pipe, nut and olive on outside, assemble
and do up *very* tight (it's a big olive and needs some welly).

Result - a very neat joint. Stick compression stopcock on the end.

MDPE to 1/2 inch PE: same page, part 13544.

Potentially easy (that thing has a bloody big doughnut o-ring in it - it
would joint to anything, as it in fact claims to. Main difficulty is doing
the extra 1/8 turn after hand tight on the MDPE and the extra 1/2 turn on
the other side. You need a strap wrench (or risk stilson chewing the
plastic up). Still a bugger to hold the fitting though - used pump pliers,
seemed to manage without wholesale destruction.

Not recommended for internal connection to copper - it would work, but it is
*huge*!

Pressure teested to 10.75bar (used one of those pushfit jobbies:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/72940/...ssure-Test-Kit

with the pathetic 4 bar guage swapped out for an 11 bar one off this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/82412/...ure-Test-Gauge

Nearly blew up the footpump, obviously advised helper to stay out of the
firing line of any bits that may becomed detatched.

But it held pressure for 5 minutes, so that's good enough - and more or less
satisfied the "test to 150% of working pressure" recommendation of the
MDPE-random-crap-adaptor (water pressure is 7.5 bar).

We now also know that the road stop cock turns off properly as we were
pressure testing against that!

Stuck the full bore lever valve and pressure reducing device on. Cursed
trying to get everything to line up.

Mounted the stack on 3 mentally strong solid brass "hospital" saddle pipe
clamps, packed off the wal with thick square building style plate washers
to line up with the MDPE clip and hole in floor.

Going to retest tomorrow and test the throughput of the PRV to see if it
buggers up our flow rate (40l/min without) or not.

Cheers

Tim