Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] news@picaxe.us is offline

Default Plywood from China and other crap from China

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 03:16:09 -0400, Alan Petrillo
wrote:

Ken wrote:
It means a lot of lost jobs, because of all the Jap cars
when will we wake up, buy AMERICAN. We've already lost the electronics,
next will be the Automotive, WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!

Look again. Most of the "Japanese" cars sold in America are built in
America, and largely with American parts. I wrote a report on this
about ten years ago, but I can't find what I did with it.

I had an altercation with a guy about driving an "American" truck. He
was in a Ford Ranger, and I was in a Nissan Hard Body. He didn't
believe me when I pointed out that his truck was made in Mexico and mine
was made in Bowling Green, Kentucky. I told him to go look up his VIN
and see for himself.

The latest players in the US car market are the Koreans, with Hyundai
and Kia. Not too long ago Hyundai announced that they were going to
open a US plant and start building cars here.

In fact, about the only car manufacturers that are taking their plants
out of the US are The Big Three, who are largely moving to Canada and
Mexico. Even so, the way the rules are written, because they're US
based corporations this is still considered "domestic" production.

So before you look at the manufacturer's badge and make an assumption
you should find out where the vehicle was actually built.

AP

How true - my 2008 Toyota Tacoma was built in California on the same
line that built some Pontiac models that year. The previous vehicle
was a 1989 Nissan pickup that was built in Tennessee.

A true US-built car?
One that's built in your garage, using 50-year-old tools and a
40-year-old Briggs & Stratton engine ;-)

John