Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m[_2_] Ian_m[_2_] is offline

Default Possible problem regarding selling a house

"SeniorCitizen" wrote in message

Also posted to uk.legal.

I'd be grateful for comments on the following situation.

After 40 years in the same house, it's getting time to move on.
Bringing up a family, which have now flown the nest, has taken its
toll on the house, which is in need of a fair amount of redecoration.
The back-boiler is 30 years old and won't last forever, and there are
problems with the wiring: it suffers the 'green exudation' problem,
and also when the kitchen was replaced two years ago the extra sockets
and wiring that were put in might not meet Building Regulations and
weren't certified.

Rather than live in a building site for several months - as doing all
the work at one time is the obvious solution - just to remain in an
area we'd much rather move away from, the tentative plan is to sell
the house, hopefully to a keen DIY-er, who can take on the problems,
adjusting the price accordingly.

What is the legal position regarding the wiring? I'm happy to be open
about the problem, but I'd like to avoid the possibility of legal
action being taken.

Thanks for your comments.

My mate sold his mother in laws house without Prat P for the kitchen
electrics no problem. Just stated this fact on house info pack to solicitor.
Also had no Fensa paperwork for kitchen windows (as spotted by survery) not
a problem.

There was some negotiation about Prat P with the buyer, he almost managed to
get the buyer to pay for an electrical inspection (£175), but buyer finaly
agreed it was a waste of time as he was intending to rip it all out and
refit whole house.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4155 (20090615) __________

http://www.eset.com