Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Ways to remove Ants

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:26:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.
I swear by diazinon granules. Not powder, granules. A very small qty. of
the stuff kills large colonies of ants very quickly.

Where can you buy it?

Any gardening store or gardening dept. I imagine. I've had the same
container for 25 years so haven't had to buy lately!

It says "outdoor only" but I've used it indoors when ants find the
garbage can. I can have a few thousand ants making a 12 foot long trail
from the door to the garbage. About 20 granules at each end of the
trail, wait 12 hrs., and the ants are gone. Maybe three or four dead
ones, the rest just vaporized.

Once a year or so I sprinkle a light dose around the perimeter of the
foundation and it takes care of any that were thinking about moving in.

I wouldn't use the powder indoors, but the granules are easy to vacuum
or sweep up without become airborne and possibly inhaled.

Here's a pic so you know what to look for.

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/d.JPG

The EPA in it's infinite wisdom banned sale of diazinon for home use.