Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ways to remove Ants

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Luckyme wrote:
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps
or chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole
nest ( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

In the past, I had good luck with granular poisoned
ant bait. You spread the stuff around, the ants take
in to the queen and the colony dies off.

http://www.pestproducts.com/antbaits.htm

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Luckyme" wrote in message
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest
( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Were it my house, I would use the "bait" type traps. They come in various
forms. The ones I just got from WallyWorld are a plastic container with a
special liquid and a wick at the top. The trap is keep moist until
deployed by a foil cap.

Anyway, you just place these baits where you see the ants and remove the
foil cover. The ants come for a drink and take some poison home with them.
In theory it will kill the queen who is safe in the middle of the nest.

Since they depend upon the ants taking poison home with them, the directions
say to NOT use these baits in close conjuction with regular poisons: you
want them to take the poison home and spread the wealth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gasoline and a match

"Luckyme" wrote in message
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest
( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

I swear by diazinon granules. Not powder, granules. A very small qty. of
the stuff kills large colonies of ants very quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 2:44*pm, "Luckyme" wrote:
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. *Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? *I appreciate any good suggestions.

If you know where the nest is, most anything will kill them, amonia,
bleach, gasolene,etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:15:29 -0500, "Big Bob" wrote:

gasoline and a match

"Luckyme" wrote in message
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest
( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Let the gas set a bit. Diesel fuel without fire. Grits (best) or corn
meal around the mound (ole home remedy method) and they carry the food
into the nest. Rain and moisture will expand grits (explode) in the
nest.

What kind of ants are these? Helps with the answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Luckyme" wrote

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest
( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Old fashioned remedy and works without chemicals or harm. Dry day, take a
handful of regular (non-instant) grits. Pile them on there. They eat'em
and cant handle them but will carry to the queen as well.

No more ants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:36:20 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Old fashioned remedy and works without chemicals or harm. Dry day, take a
handful of regular (non-instant) grits. Pile them on there. They eat'em
and cant handle them but will carry to the queen as well.

No more ants.

No self-respecting Southerner would use instant grits! Much less, have
them in the cupboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 3:44�pm, "Luckyme" wrote:
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. �Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? �I appreciate any good suggestions.

Geez are they bothering you? I have a theory, if its not a hazard
leave it be.......

this applies to everything

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:44:04 -0400, "Luckyme"
wrote:

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Terro. You'll see hundreds of ants for 1-3 days, then the whole
colony including the queen dies. No need to dig.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:26:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

I swear by diazinon granules. Not powder, granules. A very small qty. of
the stuff kills large colonies of ants very quickly.

Where can you buy it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:44:04 -0400, Luckyme wrote:
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

remove their food source
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:26:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.
I swear by diazinon granules. Not powder, granules. A very small qty. of
the stuff kills large colonies of ants very quickly.

Where can you buy it?

Any gardening store or gardening dept. I imagine. I've had the same
container for 25 years so haven't had to buy lately!

It says "outdoor only" but I've used it indoors when ants find the
garbage can. I can have a few thousand ants making a 12 foot long trail
from the door to the garbage. About 20 granules at each end of the
trail, wait 12 hrs., and the ants are gone. Maybe three or four dead
ones, the rest just vaporized.

Once a year or so I sprinkle a light dose around the perimeter of the
foundation and it takes care of any that were thinking about moving in.

I wouldn't use the powder indoors, but the granules are easy to vacuum
or sweep up without become airborne and possibly inhaled.

Here's a pic so you know what to look for.

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/d.JPG

The EPA in it's infinite wisdom banned sale of diazinon for home use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or
chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest (
which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.

Keep in mind that there are many different kinds of ants and
different areas of the country make for different solutions.

Can you identify the type of ant and tell us what part of the
world you live in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Luckyme wrote in message
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will
ant traps or chemicals work better, or do I have to dig
deep to remove the whole nest (which I prefer not to do)?
I appreciate any good suggestions.

2 Tbs. Sugar mixed with 1 Tbs. boric acid set where the suckers are coming
in; simple and easily removed once the problem moves on. Mix up a cup's
worth and pour around ant hole.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

The EPA in it's infinite wisdom banned sale of diazinon for home use.

I'll be danged. Good thing my 25 year old container is still 1/3 full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
Luckyme wrote in message
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will
ant traps or chemicals work better, or do I have to dig
deep to remove the whole nest (which I prefer not to do)?
I appreciate any good suggestions.

2 Tbs. Sugar mixed with 1 Tbs. boric acid set where the suckers are coming
in; simple and easily removed once the problem moves on. Mix up a cup's
worth and pour around ant hole.

The Ranger

Good grief! Mix with water and a few drops will do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 5:10*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:36:20 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:
Old fashioned remedy and works without chemicals or harm. *Dry day, take a
handful of regular (non-instant) grits. *Pile them on there. *They eat'em
and cant handle them but will carry to the queen as well.

No more ants.

No self-respecting Southerner would use instant grits! Much less, have
them in the cupboard.

"I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were
these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack
his beanstalk beans?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In the past, I had good luck with granular poisoned
ant bait. You spread the stuff around, the ants take
in to the queen and the colony dies off.

AMDRO worked well for us

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:59:58 -0700 (PDT), Kyle
wrote:

On Jun 14, 5:10*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:36:20 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:
Old fashioned remedy and works without chemicals or harm. *Dry day, take a
handful of regular (non-instant) grits. *Pile them on there. *They eat'em
and cant handle them but will carry to the queen as well.

No more ants.

No self-respecting Southerner would use instant grits! Much less, have
them in the cupboard.

"I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were
these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack
his beanstalk beans?"

"So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your
grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes."

" I don't know. I'm a fast cook, I guess."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Frank wrote:

The EPA in it's infinite wisdom banned sale of diazinon for home use.

I'll be danged. Good thing my 25 year old container is still 1/3 full.

I did a search for it and think it has been banned from sales for several
years. EPA banns almost all the good stuff. My favorite good for
everything was cloridane.
That stuff was good for about 20 or 30 years.
Probably taken off the market as it was too good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps
or chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole
nest ( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good suggestions.
I swear by diazinon granules. Not powder, granules. A very small qty.
of the stuff kills large colonies of ants very quickly.

I know I'm late to the dance but....

Isn't the subject line kind of wrong? I would rather eliminate the ants
than "remove" them.