Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Rivet

In article
,
NT wrote:
Solid rivets are inserted into the hole and hammered flat, with the
workpiece resting on an anvil or similar. This is a much slower
process than blind riveting, and requires access to both sides of the
hole. The method has been in use for many centuries. These rivets are
usually copper or steel.

The final appearance is a flat disc or a domed head.

Can be countersunk both ends too.

It's worth mentioning that a special tool is best for forming the domed
head with small rivets - think it's called a 'set'. Also has a hole in it
the size of the rivet to assist in getting both parts of the work mating
properly - if this is not done it effects the strength of the joint, as
well as looking unsightly.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.