Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Dissolving shower necks

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:02:23 -0700, Kelly Jones
wrote Re Dissolving shower necks:

Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it
went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the
threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has
happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever.
My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

If your water is acidic and you have copper pipe, the pipes will
eventually fail. Acid dissolves copper. When you get a chance, check
the thickness of the copper pipe walls. They are getting thinner.

The only solution is a neutralizing filter where the water main enters
the house, e.g.
http://www.excelwater.com/eng/b2c/ou...uct_whcalc.php
but there are many manufacturers of such filters.

--
I filter all messages from google groups.