Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dissolving shower necks

Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it
went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the
threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has
happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever.
My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Thanks,

Kelly
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kelly Jones wrote:
Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where
it went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the
threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has
happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever.
My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Plastic of some kind?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kelly Jones" wrote in message
Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it
went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the threads.
Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has happened. The
plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever. My house water is
slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Thanks,

Kelly

I would suspect that the old necks were some sort of zinc alloy which would
corrode rapidly with copper piping and acidic water. Try to find a neck made
of brass or bronze to solve the problem.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:02:23 -0700, Kelly Jones
wrote Re Dissolving shower necks:

Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it
went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the
threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has
happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever.
My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

If your water is acidic and you have copper pipe, the pipes will
eventually fail. Acid dissolves copper. When you get a chance, check
the thickness of the copper pipe walls. They are getting thinner.

The only solution is a neutralizing filter where the water main enters
the house, e.g.
http://www.excelwater.com/eng/b2c/ou...uct_whcalc.php
but there are many manufacturers of such filters.

--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kelly Jones wrote:
Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it
went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the
threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has
happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever.
My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Thanks,

Kelly

I've got same problem having replaced a couple of necks over 30 year
period. My well water pH is about 6.5 and shower necks are flimsy and
corrode. I have considered neutralizing but figure it would be just
another device to have problems with. I read that copper pipes have a
life expectancy of 60 years. Whenever mine go, I'll convert to PEX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:48:33 -0400, DT
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Kelly Jones wrote:
Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where
it went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the
threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has
happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever.
My house water is slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Plastic of some kind?

Yep. I just bought an inexpensive tub/shower set for a home I am
rehabing, and the shower neck was heavy plastic. Nice chrome, looks just
like a metal one.

Sadly, many spouts, arms, and feed lines are now plastic. If you want
a shower arm that lasts, select a solid brass one.