Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Volts and AC's and DC's and Gar. Door Opener

mm wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:22:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
Exhibit A:
Ancient Stanley garage door opener from the 1980's, runs -only- on 120v AC.

Exhibit B:
Skylink universal gar. door remote kit. Receiver is designed to wire
into push-button circuit, runs on 12v DC 100mA.

Exhibit C:
Ancient Signalman converter, "for use with telephone".
Input: 117v AC 60Hz 6W, standard male-spade plug.
Output: 12v DC 300 mA

Would it at all be plausible to adapt C to enable B to work with A?
How to wire? Just plug the converter input into wall, splice output
to B receiver?

Thx,
Will

Does the receiver require regulated, clean DC power
and does the power supply put out clean, regulated
DC power? If everything jives, it will work.

I think it unlikely it has to jibe. (Jive is something else.)

I doubt the receiver requires clean or regulated power, and anything
the "converter" puts out is probably fine, but you have to get the
positve and negative correct. Does the receiver say which is supposed
to be which? If so, you can use a volt-meter to see which is which on
the converter.

but I don't think you mean converter. A converter nomrally converts
DC current to AC. They often run off a car. But yours you say takes
a 110 volt input. Do you mean an adapter? Is it a little black cube
with prongs that plug into the wall? Or something like a laptop
power cord. 300ma is three times as much as you need to run
something that at most takes 100 ma. So they'll be a little wasted
power. I'm not sure how much. Not all of it because when there is no
power draw, it won't take as much AC as when there is powerdraw, and
when there is 100 ma dra, it won't take as much AC as if it was in
another situation putting out 300ma. You can sort of tell by how warm
the box gets. All of the warmth is waste heat, and all of the warmth
more than a smaller adapter would give is even more of a waste, but
you can use it and keep your eyes open for a smaller 12 volt DC
adapter.

He posted a link to the instructions, it's simple.

TDD