Posted to alt.home.repair
Wilfred Xavier Pickles Wilfred Xavier Pickles is offline

Default Volts and AC's and DC's and Gar. Door Opener

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:52:04 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

It wouldn't be all that difficult to design a two
wire interface from the opener so it operates when
the 12 volt DC power is shorted. The trick is to
limit the current the supply can sink into a dead
short, then have a circuit that detects the voltage
drop and triggers the opener. The 78xx series voltage
regulators could be used in such a circuit without
much trouble at all. If I saw the circuit diagram of
the units involved or even installation instructions,
I could figure it out.

All I could find is:

http://www.skylinkhome.com/docs/manu...ual_070207.pdf

As near as I can tell, the damnable thang was designed to
run off the 12v DC from the modern openers. But my old
Stanley runs -only- on it's own 120v AC.

Remember, the receiver has only 2 wires for operation.

I've had a lot of experience in
interfacing disparate systems. "Experience" means
that someone has burned up more equipment than anyone
else. "Stupid or dangerous" means that you haven't
learned from your experiences. Some folks think I'm
dangerous for some odd reason. Perhaps it's all that
charred equipment?

What's a little carbon, here and there? Nobig deal! :-)