Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Dissolving shower necks

"Kelly Jones" wrote in message
Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it
went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the threads.
Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has happened. The
plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever. My house water is
slightly acidic.

Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is
there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?

Thanks,

Kelly

I would suspect that the old necks were some sort of zinc alloy which would
corrode rapidly with copper piping and acidic water. Try to find a neck made
of brass or bronze to solve the problem.

Don Young