Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default power in circuit, bulb doesn't light

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 12, 10:37*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

A reply to spam. The stucco company thanks you for reposting their phony
spam post with their company link. Again.

Who the hell appointed you to determine which questions deserve a
response? So, the question came in via another website forum.
I've seen that happen both here and other newsgroups. There are
legitimate website forums that offer a portal to newsgroups.

And YOU were one of the first people to respond to it yourself. If
you think it's spam, then you are only drawing more attention to it
and making it stay around longer by doing so.

I've been fighting this phony stucco company for quite a while. It's a
dangerous precedent. All of the early posts were fake, shill posts by
the owners of the site. And many of the current ones are, too. It's
clearly commercial advertising on usenet, which is not a taboo that I
created. And I've seen many helpful regulars here spend quite a bit of
personal effort to "help" a phony poster. If we can't even sort the
legitimate posts from the fake ones, what's the point?

It's viral advertising. Every respondent ends up reposting their site
link which is embedded in the OP. Every post ends up on the internet,
and raises the company's ranking in google searches. Now some jackass
who doesn't know usenet from a bowl of wheaties comes along and DAGS a
home repair question and finds them, and becomes an unwitting shill for
them.

And every time any one of you chimes in, you compound the problem. We
had another website try to follow in the stucco company's footsteps, and
I think that by telling them to go to hell early enough and often
enough, they stopped. They even stooped to blatantly plagiarizing an
entire legitimate post, verbatim, and reposting it as though it was an
original, legitimate question. That was just a couple of weeks ago.

Here's another issue. Remember that when google started porting the
newsgroups, all the ****ing spam started coming from there. If the
stucco company gains a big enough foothold here, then others will
follow, and then spam will come from all over hell.