Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default NiMH Batterys

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
The biggest advantage of NiMH types, apart from the obvious size /
capacity one, is that they don't suffer memory effect, which is
something that has always plagued NiCds.

Strange. I've been using Ni-Cads for a very long time - well before
cordless tools or mobile phones became common and have *never*
experienced this.

Nor has anyone else.

I think NASSA did on their deep space projects. If I remember correctly the
spacecraft need to rotate slowly to avoid frying in direct sunlight on one
side, this leads to identical charge and discharge cycles as the photocells
go through sunlight and dark cycles and caused the Ni-Cads to show the
memory effect. Apparently this only happens when the cells are discharged
to exactly the same state every time so not likely to be a problem in real
world use.

--
Mike Clarke