Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default drain fly problem

On Jun 12, 7:27*am, "Earlee Walston" wrote:
Over the last couple of years, I have had drain flies I can't get rid of.
Last year, I discovered a leak under the sink that had evidently been active
for quite some time, but once fixed over time they nearly disappeared.

This year, they have returned with a vengeance. *I see them in nearly every
room of the house, especially near the transoms, and they are all around the
fluorescent light above the kitchen sink. *I can't figure out the source. *I
read that water is the cause yet no more leaks under the sink so what could
they be attracted to? *And how do I get rid of them?

Thanks,
Earlee

Little black flies about 1 /32" - 1/8", they are mud maggots and also
live in dirt. Do you have house plants, toilet wax rings can go bad,
if toilet isnt caulked to floor they live there also. Bleach poured
down all drains and sprayed at where toilet touches floor will kill
them and maybe also bug spray. Do tubs and sinks have the overfill
drain holes, get bleach in there also. Somewhere something is wet
where molds grow, my problem was toilet bottom not sealed to floor and
bad wax ring, and I have found them in plants I bring in in winter and
outside dirt I pot plants with. But you say transom, whats that,
something is wet to allow them to thrive.