Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NiMH Batterys

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
The biggest advantage of NiMH types, apart from the obvious size /
capacity one, is that they don't suffer memory effect, which is
something that has always plagued NiCds.

Strange. I've been using Ni-Cads for a very long time - well before
cordless tools or mobile phones became common and have *never*
experienced this.

Prolly your one of the few who use them properly!..

Even in the early days it was well known that overcharging would damage
them. Rather like it does an SLA battery. In most of my sort of use you'd
know how long they would last and change them (just) before they were
exhausted. Same as you'd do with dry cells if you wanted the best
economy/performance compromise. So they would just be recharged overnight
at 1/10th the capacity constant current - with a timer to switch the
charger off after 14 hours. Good cells would last years when used like
this. Of course they weren't being used in heavy discharge situations.
What I'm not sure of is how well these modern high capacity types last.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.