Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default OTA antenna mount

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...
I need to mount my new TV antenna on my house.

I used a "tripod" mount on my roof. It's held in place by three good
sized wood screws through the singles and roof sheathing. One leg of the
tripod is held to the angle bracket via a bolt and nut. When you put a
mast on the tripod you can remove that bolt and tilt it over. One person
can install things if you have a board to keep the system from completely
flopping over in "tilt" mode.

I have a 6' mast in the tripod with a rotator and another 6' mast with
antenna. Because of overlap, etc. the antenna is about 11' above the
ridge.

I used sealing compound under the bracket and over the "lag screw." You
don't really have to worry much about roof leaks from holes near the ridge
because there just isn't much water up there. It's toward the bottom that
you have to be careful about holes in the shingles.

I am a nut for grounding. I have #6 copper running from the tripod and
mast to both ends of the ridge and into separate grounds which are also
bonded to the house ground.

I used RG-59 but I will soon replace it with RG-6 to get a little more
signal. There are tall trees around our property and our antenna still
isn't high enough. Maybe I will put in a 10' mast and have a more direct
run when I put in the RG-6.

With the transition to digital, I fear I may end up with less stations
because I can't get reliable service on the digital version of several
channels. (We are about 60-70 miles from the transmitter towers.)