Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Wasp nest removal difficulty

HeyBub wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"[RICHLAND, Wash] Workers cleaning up the Hanford nuclear
reservation are going after radioactive wasp nests."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...dwasps11m.html

And you thought you had troubles...

*GASP*

In 1958 I was operating a U of H solar observatory at Makapuu Point
in Hawaii. It was my first job out of college and pretty much a
flunky one.
In addition to the observatory, the U of C had some meson counters
there and I was supposed to maintain them. A weekly chore was
checking their accuracy with a slug of radioactive beryllium which
was kept in a lead lined hole in the ground some distance away. I'd
go fish it out with a (literally) 10 foot pole to take it back to the
counters.
Now Makapuu is a pretty boring place - not much there except scrubby
brush, mongooses, roaches and yellow jackets - so I fought the
boredom by irradiating yellow jacket nests on the way back.

I never *dreamed* my onslaught against boredom would spread so far

I think that's the sight I saw on the Discovery Channel. Don't you
have to stop for a day at 7,000 foot or so to acclimate yourself to
the rarefied atmosphere?

You're thinking of Mauna Kea on the island of Hawaii. Makapuu Point is a
smallish hill on the SE corner of Oahu...same island as Honolulu.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...