Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Murray (HotM) Michael Murray (HotM) is offline

Default Decking Ramblings - longish.

On 10 June, 20:29, (dmc) wrote:
In article ,
Michael Murray (HotM) wrote:

snip

I used 2x6 for the frame. It wasn't much more expensive so I went with it.
Across a span of nearly 3m it hardly flexed at all which suprised me. I
added small posts standing on the concrete and then bolted to the deck
frame (8 - 12 inch long depending on the location. 4inch posts).

I was limited by the exit door from the house to a total height of
240mm. 20-odd for the deck boards and then 2 layers of 2x4's (@90mm
each) left me with 40mm for the rubber upstands.

Drill driver v Impact Driver

Ended up with
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/94022...akita-6271DWP3...

Nice. I'm a DeW fan, but regularly have arguments with Makita-fan
mates.

I was luck that the area was 3m wide and the local timber yard could supply
3m boards so very little cutting was required. The 3m boards they offered
were thicker than most I've seen but that seemed to be fine.

I manged to get 5.4m boards locally (Rembrandt Timber for those near
Edinburgh), which meant I had a single board across the width.

Spacing:
the deck boards shrank noticably over the first night. I laid them
with 3mm gaps as they were quite wet. Gap is now easily 5mm.

Can't say I've noticed anything that dramatic - a few of the boards that
weren't screwed down twisted a bit but nothing much.

Screwdriver bits:

Heh, exactly the same here. I bought a box of 25 dewalt bits in the screwfix
clearance sale. 24 left in the box, one in the impact driver still fine :-)

Not just me then !

Deck oil or something... Are you planning on doing anything with yours?

http://bogit.com/tmp/deck3.jpgshows the Frame

http://bogit.com/tmp/deck4.jpgwith some of the boards on it.

Any photos of your handy work? :-)

Hope this helps someone!

Darren

Your pics - Very nice - mine is much less exciting

in progress: http://tinypic.com/r/nn14zk/5
Complete: http://tinypic.com/r/28mft4x/5

Unsure as to finishing yet.

M.