Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace oil heating but keep boiler

On Jun 10, 1:21*pm, Hipupchuck wrote:
lakeshow wrote:

-------------------------------------

Hi there,

I own a duplex that has hydronic heating with an oil-fired boiler. The
problem is that there is a single oil tank for the whole duplex, and as
the owner (living in the lower duplex) I have no control over how much
tenants (living in the upper duplex) consume in terms of heating. The
boiler is relatively new and I would hate to have to replace it, but I am
looking for a way to separate the heating either switching to gas or
electric, so that each living unit is independent.
Does anyone know if this can be done without replacing the boiler?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Delivered via *http://thestuccocompany.com/

You give them a separate zone and thermostat. Then you put in a second
oil tank for them. They fill that one. Then you put in an oil valve that
draws from their tank when their zone calls for heat and draws from your
oil tank when your zone calls for heat and draws from both when both are
calling for heat. If their tank is empty then no heat for them.

Sounds to me like no heat for everybody when the tenant's tank runs
dry, because as long as their apartment calls for heat, the furnace is
going to be sucking air from the empty tank and then tripping off.
Also, how are you going to ensure the oil flow when it's drawing from
both tanks is divided up proportionaly? It's not even clear exactly
what the right percentage should be, let alone what might happen with
2 tanks just plumbed together with valves.

You may have to invent that type of oil valve.- Hide quoted text -