Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] boltmail@mailbolt.com is offline

Default Tile cement question?

On 10 June, 17:02, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

It sets ok if you are using tub based cement intended for the job. I
expect that's why it's called "Heavy Duty". I am using a heavy duty
tub based ceramic tile adhesive to fix 30cm x 60cm ceramic tiles to my
bathroom wall, and I can assure you that it is setting totally hard.
It does 'exactly as it says on the tin', and exactly what the man in
the shop said it would. As he sells many tiles this big, I guess he
knows which adhesive to recommend for sticking them ? -

I do not know of any manufacturer (or pro tiler) who is prepared to
endorse the use of dispersion adhesives on large format tiles. Who is
the manufacturer?
You trust a tile salesman over a multitude of manufacturers technical
depts and pro tilers? *Go right ahead.
Have you pulled a tile off. *Odds on, you will have a 'picture frame'
of set adhesive around the edge which is making you think it is all
set.

Err, the adhesive dries via the plaster etc which is porous. Very few
indeed would be tiling direct to a concrete wall.

Oh - I did subsequently remove some tiles to insert a mirror. I can assure
you the adhesive had thoroughly dried. ;-)

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I still think I will follow the universal advice of the experts who
make the stuff rather than someone who has used it incorrectly a few
times and got away with it, thanks. For a few extra quid and a bit of
stirring, I see no reason to bodge it and take the risk.