Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

HeyBub wrote:

"Preferably wireless" is problematic. Wireless routers suffer from two
debilitating characteristics: they are much easier to hack than wired
routers

I'm not sure about that, but I'm not the CIA so not a lot of people are
trying to hack into my system. I'd guess the majority of wireless
routers don't even have security enabled. Still 99.99% of people would
at best be able to use their internet connection if thy parked across
the street. Getting into their PC would be far more problematic. In
fact, most people have a hard time doing it on their own system.

and they are ususally about half the speed of a comparably-priced
wired device.

I have both wired and wireless on my router and there is not a
noticeable difference on internet connections. The main thing is both
my kids play games over the wireless and that takes a lot of bandwidth,
no problem there. I use it on my laptop to watch Ustream.tv pool
tournaments on my big screen TV. I have no problem at all, even when my
kids are on at the same time. The main thing is wireless is fast enough
for most stuff you do on-line. Gaming and watching TV is about as
intense as it gets I think, and simply flying around the net doesn't
even get it breathing hard. 54Mbps is not much of a limitation for most
stuff, Comcast is lucky if it gives you 6 Mbps.

Anyway, paying for 2 DSL lines is not the solution unless you live in
a VERY large house, in which case you probably don't care about the
expense;+}.

Thats true. I can go outside on my deck which is about 50' long going
away from the router, and about another 20-30 feet (2 rooms) away from
the router, and have no problem with that distance. Not sure how far it
will go, but I think you would need a huge house to outdistance it.
Other things could come into play, like is he broadcasting from a lead
lined room or something.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com