Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile cement question?

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
You should not be using a tub adhesive if they are large format tiles
(over 30 x 30 or so). It doesn't set properly. You need to use a
cement based adhesive on those whether on floors or walls. There are
versions which are high grab for walls.

It sets ok if you are using tub based cement intended for the job. I
expect that's why it's called "Heavy Duty". I am using a heavy duty tub
based ceramic tile adhesive to fix 30cm x 60cm ceramic tiles to my
bathroom wall, and I can assure you that it is setting totally hard. It
does 'exactly as it says on the tin', and exactly what the man in the
shop said it would. As he sells many tiles this big, I guess he knows
which adhesive to recommend for sticking them ?

That's what I found. But as I said cheap Wicks tub adhesive wasn't up to
the job - but then it does say 'not suitable for porcelain tiles'. So
whether it was that or the weight I dunno.
Nor can I see why the size of the tile matters that much to the adhesive
setting. It might take longer to go off fully - but most will be going
onto a porous surface like plaster. I did tile the shower cubical with
different tiles - and tiled over the old ones which were solid. That did
take a long time for the adhesive to set fully - but then it was an inch
thick in places. ;-)

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.