Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile cement question?

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Right - so the box which usually contains 1 sq mtr would weigh 30 kg?
Mine was heavy enough to carry but nowhere near that. Although I could
well imagine real stone being very heavy.

Oh yes. but actually the wall doesn't carry its weight.

A tiled wall is a wall of tiles. With grout between supporting each one.
The plasterboard is merely there to prevent it buckling sideways.

You're assuming the bottom tile is supported by the floor? In my case it's
not - there's a hardwood skirting and I didn't grout to that. Just left a
gap the same as the spacing between the tiles.

Its a point that most people miss: When you tile a wall, the original
wall ceases - or should cease - to have much say in either the
structural strength or the waterproofing.

A couple of the external walls had fairly poor plaster - the original lime
stuff where the skim came off in places when preparing. I gave it a good
soak in PVA, left to dry thoroughly, and just increased the adhesive
thickness to compensate and it seems pretty solid now.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.