Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Replacement Windows

Don Phillipson wrote:
Shadow wrote in message ...

I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun?

It may be cheaper to screen the windows from the sun,
e.g. by overhead awnings (retractable canvas awnings
are standard in Europe) or garden walls/fences. You
can find ornamental wall/fence material pierced so you
can look through it but which nevertheless blocks up to
80 per cent of light or heat.

Low E does not cost that much more - a lot cheaper than awnings. I find
it well worth it.