Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Windows

I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun. Looking at several differnt brands. Any
recommendations with regard to Argon vs. Krypton, or no gas fill?
Having watched several neighbors have windows changed out I am about
as concerned about the install as the difference in window companies.
I haven't looked at this group in a long time, so I hope this is not a
repeditive question. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shadow wrote in message ...

I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun?

It may be cheaper to screen the windows from the sun,
e.g. by overhead awnings (retractable canvas awnings
are standard in Europe) or garden walls/fences. You
can find ornamental wall/fence material pierced so you
can look through it but which nevertheless blocks up to
80 per cent of light or heat.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
Shadow wrote in message ...

I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun?

It may be cheaper to screen the windows from the sun,
e.g. by overhead awnings (retractable canvas awnings
are standard in Europe) or garden walls/fences. You
can find ornamental wall/fence material pierced so you
can look through it but which nevertheless blocks up to
80 per cent of light or heat.

Low E does not cost that much more - a lot cheaper than awnings. I find
it well worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:20:16 -0500, Shadow wrote:

I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun. Looking at several differnt brands. Any
recommendations with regard to Argon vs. Krypton, or no gas fill?
Having watched several neighbors have windows changed out I am about
as concerned about the install as the difference in window companies.
I haven't looked at this group in a long time, so I hope this is not a
repeditive question. Thanks

Hire the first window person that can tell about the Merlin Lazer:
http://www.merlinlazer.com/Toughened...-indicator-TGI

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:20:16 -0500, Shadow wrote:

I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun. Looking at several differnt brands. Any
recommendations with regard to Argon vs. Krypton, or no gas fill?
Having watched several neighbors have windows changed out I am about
as concerned about the install as the difference in window companies.
I haven't looked at this group in a long time, so I hope this is not a
repeditive question. Thanks

Go Loew E 2 (low e squared) with Argon fill and insulated spacers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 2:20*pm, Shadow wrote:
I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. *While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. *Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun. *Looking at several differnt brands. *Any
recommendations with regard to Argon vs. Krypton, or no gas fill?
Having watched several neighbors have windows changed out I am about
as concerned about the install as the difference in window companies.
I haven't looked at this group in a long time, so I hope this is not a
repeditive question. *Thanks

Using solar screens blocks the sun and gives extra security if you use
screws that use a special bit.
screws.

Use the same type of screw in all windows to make removal easier.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 3:20*pm, Shadow wrote:
I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. *While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. *Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun. *Looking at several differnt brands. *Any
recommendations with regard to Argon vs. Krypton, or no gas fill?
Having watched several neighbors have windows changed out I am about
as concerned about the install as the difference in window companies.
I haven't looked at this group in a long time, so I hope this is not a
repeditive question. *Thanks

Low e is only part of glass performance. SHG solar heat gain is the
rating you need to compare. Some companies make glass just for what
you want. You realy need to do alot of research to find out what is
needed for your area and price it out. Alpen and Hurd are a few
companies that make glass to reduce SHG. Im in the north , in winter
we want SHG so glass for my area is different. There are quite a few
tests done to compare glass, you need to know and use the ratings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:34:13 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Jun 9, 3:20Â*pm, Shadow wrote:
I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area living in a home with over 300 sf of
single pane aluminum frame windows. Â*While I am blessed to only have
two large sliders get direct afternoon sun, my concrete patio and
drive reflect massive ammounts of heat iinto the living area. Â*Do I
need low E glass on all the new double pane windows, or only those
that get direct sun. Â*Looking at several differnt brands. Â*Any
recommendations with regard to Argon vs. Krypton, or no gas fill?
Having watched several neighbors have windows changed out I am about
as concerned about the install as the difference in window companies.
I haven't looked at this group in a long time, so I hope this is not a
repeditive question. Â*Thanks

Low e is only part of glass performance. SHG solar heat gain is the
rating you need to compare. Some companies make glass just for what
you want. You realy need to do alot of research to find out what is
needed for your area and price it out. Alpen and Hurd are a few
companies that make glass to reduce SHG. Im in the north , in winter
we want SHG so glass for my area is different. There are quite a few
tests done to compare glass, you need to know and use the ratings.

Thanks to all for the input, been sittin at the ,puter gathering data.
Seems Argon gas is the way to go with Low E and solar glass. Finished
my window measuring just to have an idea and actually have almost 425
sf of glass. That ammounts to 21% of the floor space. The gov. does
have some info where you can plug in windowsize/ placements and some
other factors even energy costs. It'll do a simulation with different
types of windows. No matter how this goes I'm paying for comfort not
real energy savings. After checking the price of windows around here
it'' take 15-20 years for windows to pay for themselves. Heck, I
don't know if I'll make it that long. This assumes of course that the
price of electricity will remain stable. Anyone counting on that?
Still, the house will not have to be so hot in the Summer. When my 10
year old AC fails a new unit will not have to work so hard.

My research points to Simonton windows (just got the JD Powers award),
and Andersen looks to have a good product, they are proud of it
though. We have one window outfit down here that claims to have a
window with an R-value of 10. I can't wait to find out how much that
costs.

Once again, thanks for the tips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:20*pm, Shadow wrote:
[...]

Once again, thanks for the tips.- Hide quoted text -

Who has R 10? you are not figuring it out right, you are paying for
energy savings if your sun load is that high. Payback would be much
faster if it keeps the AC from running as much

windows replacement [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 20th 07 05:45 PM
Replacement Windows David Glass Home Repair 2 October 10th 07 09:03 PM
Replacement Windows Steve Hawkins Home Repair 6 March 12th 07 02:29 PM
Replacement windows Gntry Home Repair 2 November 8th 05 09:57 PM
Replacement Windows Claudia Home Repair 0 October 15th 04 04:18 PM