Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

jtpryan wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:18 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
TD Driver wrote:
I'm in the same AT&T boat. I have another server, TeraNews, that
offers a pretty good package for a one-time fixed fee of a couple of
bucks.
I've got too much stuff with ATT to drop 'em, but they are tops on
my list for terrible service. When I signed up for my DSL, the
sales gal swore up and down that I'd be able to cover two computers
at opposite ends of my house with one connection. She said 300 feet
is quite doable, so my 75 feet between units was easily doable.
Hah. I now have two DSL services in my house. You think they'd give
me a break on the second service, right?

Larry

You DSL line SHOULD go to a router - even if you have only one
computer connected - because the router acts as a hardware firewall.

Once your router is online, you can connect multiple internet
devices* to the router. Say you get an 8-port router. One of the
ports can host a second router which now gives you a potential total
of 15 connected devices. On the second router, you can connect yet a
third router for a (now) totals 22 computers, and so on. All sharing
the ONE DSL connection.

You may need a 12-year-old male to help with the connections.

----------
* This includes not only computers but VoIP telephones.

Actually, I think you are confusing switches and routers. The DSL
modem connects to a router, preferably wireless and typically with a
built in 4 port switch. Then you can connect 4 wired devices and
numerous wireless devices to that. If you want to connect more then 4
wired devices you can then buy a 4, 8, or 16 port switch, connect it
to one of the ports on the router and get more. The router isn't a
true firewall, but does provide an acceptable level of defense for
most home networks via "NATing" or Network Address Translation.

I'm not confusing routers and switches - the public has. Originally, they
performed separate jobs. Most "routers" today are combination "routers" AND
"switches."

"Preferably wireless" is problematic. Wireless routers suffer from two
debilitating characteristics: they are much easier to hack than wired
routers and they are ususally about half the speed of a comparably-priced
wired device.

Anyway, paying for 2 DSL lines is not the solution unless you live in
a VERY large house, in which case you probably don't care about the
expense;+}. Each Cat 5e wire can go 100 meters. If you don't want to
pull wire then the wireless *might* get you 100 ft. You can also buy
wireless repeaters which would give you more range. Another option
would be using the power line network stuff. All of this would be
cheaper then paying 30-40/month for another line.

Now that I have digressed from the original post...

I use Google Groups for news reading now. No binaries, but it really
is better for reading groups like this one. And it's free. If you
want to share photos of projects then use one of the free web based
photo sharing services like Picassa. No, I don't work for Google...

Google Groups is significantly brain-damaged. It loses or misplaces posts
quite often. It's biggest disadvantage is the time interval before a message
or reply shows up. This interval, sometimes, is measured in days.