Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] boltmail@mailbolt.com is offline

Default Tile cement question?

On 9 June, 20:49, David in Normandy
wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
. com...
David in Normandy wrote:
We are extending the floor tiles up the wall. Question - can the same
tile cement be used on the wall as was used on the floor or is a
different product - i.e. something a bit more "sticky" required for
fixing the "floor" tiles up a wall? As they are floor tiles they are a
little thicker and heavier than normal wall tiles. Any advice please?

In view of the heavier tiles, I'd use a wall adhesive, with the larger
comb spreader to give a bit more depth. The floor adhesives I've used are
too dense and heavy for walls, high cement content I think.

I'm currently tiling my bathroom with 60 x 30cm tiles - they're heavy ! I am
using "Heavy Duty Non-Slip Tile Adhesive" for this, as recommended by the
man in the store, and it is absoluely fine. In fact, so good is it, that
you've got about 1 minute maximum to position the tile, and then there ain't
no way the bugger's coming off ...

Arfa

Right, that sounds like what I need. Thanks.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the

You should not be using a tub adhesive if they are large format tiles
(over 30 x 30 or so). It doesn't set properly. You need to use a
cement based adhesive on those whether on floors or walls. There are
versions which are high grab for walls.

IIRC plasterboard can only carry 30kg/m2 bare (20kgm2 with a skim-
coat), so check you are OK there - some thick porcelains will exceed
that (and many stones).