Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Toro Walk-Behind Runs Really Sloooooow

On May 28, 11:51*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 28, 6:29*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

He says it needs a carburetor. He said it runs fine until it draws a
vacuum and slows down.

He says there's a rebuild kit available for about $12 bucks but the jets
might still be gunked up, so he suggested replacing the carb for about $65.

He said he does these tune-ups on the side and doesn't want to get into
guaranteeing a carb replacement just in case he's wrong and has to eat
the $65. He suggested I order a carb, throw it on there and see what
happens. He even said to call him if I run into problems.

No charge for what he tried since he didn't fix it.

Good man. * *Sounds like my neighbor. * *I likehttp://www.psep.biz/
for carbs.

His search engine fails me sometimes, so try Google's 'search site'
thingy with the part number if you can't locate your carb.

Jim

Thanks. I'll check out that site.- Hide quoted text -

Update:

Problem solved - I bought a new mower!

When I picked up the mower from the guy who told me I needed a carb,
he said it was running just like it was before - starts fine and then
slows. That was about 2 weeks ago and I just hadn't gotten around to
ordering the carb.

Last Friday night I decided I had to mow, so I tried to start the
mower. After a couple of pulls I heard a loud "clank" from under the
bed. I lifted the mower to find the blade and half of the blade
mounting assembly on the ground. The mounting assembly had failed on
this mower a few years ago, so I knew right away what was wrong.

Over the past week I had shopped for a carb and found the cost to be
around $80 - $85 with shipping. I know from past experience that the
blade mounting assembly was about $20. So now I need over a $100 in
parts and at least a couple of hours of labor.

I looked at the bald front wheels, reminded myself of how rough the
self-propel mechanism was working, thought about how it was time to
get the blade sharpened and said "See ya! Time for a new mower."

The replacement Toro mower (same features, this year's version) was
$279 at HD. Just about every model that had the features I wanted was
$275 - $300.

Went to Sears and found a Craftsman Limited Edition with a Honda 160
CC engine, regularly $399, on sale for $289, one left. “Thank you,
just load it into that van right there.”

Put the old one at the street, with a sign that said Free! Needs
Carburetor and Blade Mounting Assembly". It was gone by the next
morning.