Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

"willshak" wrote in message
news
on 6/8/2009 12:24 PM (ET) brooklyn1 wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote:

I don't think the OP is talking about solar powered lights.
However I was in HD or Lowes last week and I saw solar powered lights
that said the batteries are regular AA rechargeables.
The problem I've had with solar powered lights is that the solar panel
plastic turns milky and gets hairline cracks. I've gone so far as to
buff the lenses and coated them with Future floor finish, but it doesn't
last..

It was only a week ago and you don't know if you were in Home Depot or
Lowe's... something is terribly amiss with your perceptive ability.

If you must know, I wasn't looking to buy patio lights, but I was passing
through the aisles where they were displayed.
I was in both stores that day and they are within sight of each other..

Sounds more like you futzed with buffing and coating your lamp's solar
panels when new out of the box, thinking you'd improve them, instead you
destroyed them. Mine have been operating perfectly for nearly seven years
and show no crazing or opaqueness whatsoever, and the only cleaning they
get is from when it rains.

This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like
when brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg

Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't
remember and the tag is lost.

You don't remember the name of the plant that you planted on your
property, and you criticized my memory?

I never said I planted it, was there when I moved here. I've seen that
plant at a local nursery but don't remember the name, of the plant, I know
the name of the nursery. The original owner had little copper tags by many
of the plants, that one is missing or may never have been. That plant could
have been planted shortly after that deck was built, some twenty six years
ago, not six days ago. Btw, I've been separating and planting pieces in
unprotected areas, so far the deer and rabbits don't eat it.

This is the solar lamp I bought from Lowe's on 11/11/03, still works
perfectly. I paid $35 for a set of two. I wouldn't coat the solar panels
with anything as it may act like a sun screen one applies against sunburn,
blocking the rays that recharge the batteries... I'd think modern auto waxes
do contain a sunscreen to protect paint finishes.... clearly says any
modification voids the warranty. It's very easy to replace the batteries,
so far I'm still using the original batteries. Don't buy any B & D cordless
vacuum, costs as much to change the battery pack as to buy a new unit.

Malibu makes cheaper (plastic) solar lights too, they also make low voltage
lights, but these are made very substantially of cast aluminum and
beautifully finished, I got the ones with the pewter finish:
http://www.malibulights.com/index.ph...&pi d=LZ14001

When I bought them it was simply an impulse purchase, I did no research,
they just looked nice and the price was right. Initially I wanted solar
lights for markers at the foot of my driveway but soon realized it wouldn't
be such a good idea as anyone passing could make off with them, so I put
them in back at my deck.