Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

I have used 12 volt landscape lights for about seven years. During this
time, I have used various light fixtures from Home Depot and Lowe's. Some
seem pretty low quality, some appear pretty decent at first. But, they all
leak after a few years.

I have also tried more "upscale" lights from a lighting dealer, costing in
the range of $90 per fixture. They also leak after a few years. I see
NO difference in quality of the "upscale" fixtures at $90 than what I buy at
the big box stores at $15 each. No difference whatsoever. (Generally
speaking, I am a believer in the saying that you get what you pay for. This
does not appear to be the case with low voltage landscape lights).

Do any of you have experience with the long term use of low voltage
landscape lights, and have you found decent fixtures with good seals, so
that they don't leak after a few years ? If so, what brand/ store / etc
would you suggest that I try ??

Thanks for any comments or advice !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"James" no wrote in message
[...]

Every brand I've ever used is junk. Most of the line voltage landscape
fixtures are garbage as well. The only possible exceptions are the very
expensive bronze ones make by Hadco or Kim. I've tried resin and plastic,
cast aluminum etc. None hold up over time, and those with bayonet and MR
sockets crap out the quickest

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jun 7, 1:33*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"James" no wrote in message

[...]

I've got a set of those cheap plastic lights with the clip in 4v bulbs
here at my place in MI... had no trouble with them in the 4 years I've
been here, and they were in before I got them... Judging by how many
layers of mulch the wires are under, I'd say they've been running
strong for 10 years now. The caps come off the top, water and snow
fall in, but, it all drains out the bottom so the light doesn't have
standing water.

my 2 cents

Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jun 7, 10:45*am, "James" no wrote:
[...]

What leaks, isnt the bulb in the bottom facing up. Wont water drip
out, so a leak wont matter.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

[...]

*I get asked about low voltage lighting by my customers every once in a
while. I advise them against it. I'm in New Jersey and the weather
conditions are not optimal for that stuff. The connectors corrode or fall
apart. The lights don't hold up well. Landscapers abuse them. Homeowners
step on them. The ones low to the ground get covered with leaves. The one
at the end of the line are dimmer than the beginning.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Yes, yes, I will look for those:

"I've got a set of those cheap plastic lights with the clip in 4v bulbs"

Think I could find these at Home Depot ??

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

[ -- snip -- ]

The one
at the end of the line are dimmer than the beginning.

Not if you wire them up properly --

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"James" no wrote in message
[...]

One box of 4 that I bought very cheap, says right on the box that the solar
powered batteries cannot be replaced. Lasted for 2 years. No evidence of
water intrusion. Lights: LEDs. Lights hang down, not pointed up. No way
for water to affect them unless you have more than 8" of standing water.

Tried them again in a box of 6, even cheaper this time. No battery
replacement disclaimer. Similar design. 1/2 price sale, I'm buying another
box for when these fail. Just connect the top section to the current
assembly already in the ground, all working again.

That's my advice. Buy them while on sale, and buy more than one set for
your application.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Alan" wrote
"James" wrote:

[...]

Have you considered LED (light emitting diode) lights? Google "white LED
Lights". Incandescent lights only only produce 5-10% light the remainder
being
heat and it is the latter that causes fixture failure. With leds there
need not be
any such fixtures. If you can live with red lights, red LEDs are even
cheaper.

I think it depends on how much light one needs and for what purpose. I've
not seen any low voltage garden lamps that give off much light and they
certainly don't throw light any appreciable distance, they're typically used
for minimally illuminating walkways. I also used low voltage lamps but I
didn't like that they needed wiring and they also leaked. For six years now
I've been using solar lights, they emit enough light to illuminate walkways.
Even on cloudy days they recharge enough so that they give off light well
past the wee hours when no one should be walking about anyway. The only
time solar lamps won't recharge is when snow accumulates on the solar
panels, but then the snow itself reflects more than adequate light for
walking about, and it's a simple matter to brush snow off the panels. For
security lighting neither low voltage or solar lighting is sufficient, for
that one should have hard wired flood/spot lights with motion detectors.
I've been using the same solar lamps for more than six years now, they still
operate good as new and the lamp's appearance is as good as new. And
eventually when the rechargeable battery pack fails it can easily be
replaced, and for like $6. And there are now solar lamps that do emit
enough light to illuminate relatively large areas and/or throw light a
distance sufficient for a flag atop a pole. I'm sold on solar lighting, I
would never again consider low voltage lights. I've already decided to buy
a set of solar lights for my outdoor Christmas tree... no more 150'
extention cord.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

yes. this is the way we are going. we even have some solar LED lights that are
really surprising in that they have been outside all winter for 2 years now and
havent replaced the battery. The light is not BRIGHT like you can read from it, but
we just want subtle lighting. Ingrid

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:42:49 -0400, "Alan" you're got to be joking wrote:
Have you considered LED (light emitting diode) lights? Google "white LED
Lights". Incandescent lights only only produce 5-10% light the remainder being
heat and it is the latter that causes fixture failure. With leds there need not
be
any such fixtures. If you can live with red lights, red LEDs are even cheaper.

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 6/8/2009 7:36 AM (ET) Dioclese wrote the following:
"James" no wrote in message

[...]

I don't think the OP is talking about solar powered lights.
However I was in HD or Lowes last week and I saw solar powered lights
that said the batteries are regular AA rechargeables.
The problem I've had with solar powered lights is that the solar panel
plastic turns milky and gets hairline cracks. I've gone so far as to
buff the lenses and coated them with Future floor finish, but it doesn't
last..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 8, 11:47*am, willshak wrote:
on 6/8/2009 7:36 AM (ET) Dioclese wrote the following:

"James" no wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I've had the same issue, as well as the plastic stakes being softer
than the ground that they're pushed into (and the soil in my yard is
very soft indeed.)

I would love to find a good quality light, either solar, low voltage,
whatever that could be relied upon to last more than a year or two.

nate
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"willshak" wrote:

I don't think the OP is talking about solar powered lights.
However I was in HD or Lowes last week and I saw solar powered lights that
said the batteries are regular AA rechargeables.
The problem I've had with solar powered lights is that the solar panel
plastic turns milky and gets hairline cracks. I've gone so far as to buff
the lenses and coated them with Future floor finish, but it doesn't last..

It was only a week ago and you don't know if you were in Home Depot or
Lowe's... something is terribly amiss with your perceptive ability. Sounds
more like you futzed with buffing and coating your lamp's solar panels when
new out of the box, thinking you'd improve them, instead you destroyed them.
Mine have been operating perfectly for nearly seven years and show no
crazing or opaqueness whatsoever, and the only cleaning they get is from
when it rains.

This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like when
brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg

Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't
remember and the tag is lost.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jun 7, 11:45*am, "James" no wrote:
[...]

I have some that are still going after about 9 years. I coat the
connectors with Dow Corning DC4 silicon grease. This displaces water
away from any place it shouldnt be. Mke sure that if water does get
into them it can drain out because water will get in. Mine are cheapys
I got at Big Lots. The ones I have now uses bulbs but I will probably
soon replace them with LEDs.

My neighbor has some that are more like 15 years old. They made there
own enclosures out of sheet copper and stained glass, very pretty.
Light fixtures are automotive. They also use the DC4.

The fixtures pretty much mattch their art deco porch light.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jun 7, 8:45*am, "James" no wrote:
[...]

My limited expericence is the same.

as per other posts, my opinion all LV fixtures are junk

I would suggest (worth a try) sealing the fixtures prior to
installation with silicone seal OR if you want to try & maintain dis-
assembly as an option.....a heavy application of silicone grease

IMO the only thing going for LV lighting is; fast & cheap to install
I tell people that their new LV installation will require ongoing /
never ending maintenance

the solar ones are kinda wimpy on the output & as near as I can tell
the batteries cannot be replaced...but they are hard to for ease of
install & maintentance

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 8, 1:16*pm, fftt wrote:
On Jun 7, 8:45*am, "James" no wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

the ones I have are "solar" brand from Home Depot, the batteries are
standard AA rechargeables. Downsides:

1) so flimsily made that they will break (from getting kicked,
newspapers landing on them, etc.) before the batteries wear out.

2) solar panels haze over worse than cheap car headlamps

3) stakes are worthless plastic junk

other than that (ahem) they actually work pretty well.

nate
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Thanks Mike on the Aurora name. I will look for them.

As for solar lights, I have no need for them. I need far more light that
what I can get from solar lights.

Thanks for all the comments everyone !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

N8N wrote:

I would love to find a good quality light, either solar, low voltage,
whatever that could be relied upon to last more than a year or two.

I have had no problems with the Malibu Metal low voltage series for 18 months
now. Cast aluminum construction seems to hold up just fine.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 6/8/2009 12:24 PM (ET) brooklyn1 wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote:

I don't think the OP is talking about solar powered lights.
However I was in HD or Lowes last week and I saw solar powered lights that
said the batteries are regular AA rechargeables.
The problem I've had with solar powered lights is that the solar panel
plastic turns milky and gets hairline cracks. I've gone so far as to buff
the lenses and coated them with Future floor finish, but it doesn't last..

It was only a week ago and you don't know if you were in Home Depot or
Lowe's... something is terribly amiss with your perceptive ability.

If you must know, I wasn't looking to buy patio lights, but I was
passing through the aisles where they were displayed.
I was in both stores that day and they are within sight of each other..

Sounds
more like you futzed with buffing and coating your lamp's solar panels when
new out of the box, thinking you'd improve them, instead you destroyed them.
Mine have been operating perfectly for nearly seven years and show no
crazing or opaqueness whatsoever, and the only cleaning they get is from
when it rains.

This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like when
brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg

Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't
remember and the tag is lost.

You don't remember the name of the plant that you planted on your
property, and you criticized my memory?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

news
"willshak" wrote:

[...]

I never said I planted it, was there when I moved here. I've seen that
plant at a local nursery but don't remember the name, of the plant, I know
the name of the nursery. The original owner had little copper tags by many
of the plants, that one is missing or may never have been. That plant could
have been planted shortly after that deck was built, some twenty six years
ago, not six days ago. Btw, I've been separating and planting pieces in
unprotected areas, so far the deer and rabbits don't eat it.

This is the solar lamp I bought from Lowe's on 11/11/03, still works
perfectly. I paid $35 for a set of two. I wouldn't coat the solar panels
with anything as it may act like a sun screen one applies against sunburn,
blocking the rays that recharge the batteries... I'd think modern auto waxes
do contain a sunscreen to protect paint finishes.... clearly says any
modification voids the warranty. It's very easy to replace the batteries,
so far I'm still using the original batteries. Don't buy any B & D cordless
vacuum, costs as much to change the battery pack as to buy a new unit.

Malibu makes cheaper (plastic) solar lights too, they also make low voltage
lights, but these are made very substantially of cast aluminum and
beautifully finished, I got the ones with the pewter finish:
http://www.malibulights.com/index.ph...&pi d=LZ14001

When I bought them it was simply an impulse purchase, I did no research,
they just looked nice and the price was right. Initially I wanted solar
lights for markers at the foot of my driveway but soon realized it wouldn't
be such a good idea as anyone passing could make off with them, so I put
them in back at my deck.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jun 7, 3:05*pm, "James" no wrote:
Yes, yes, I will look for those:

"I've got a set of those cheap plastic lights with the clip in 4v bulbs"

Think I could find these at Home Depot ??

James

hey, all sarcasim aside, I just mentioned that for whatever it might
be worth to someone else reading this thread later.
I looked at my timer box, and it looks like they are malibu lights

cheap, yes, from the borg, yes, what you were asking about, no.
but, like I said, just my 2 cents.

http://www.malibulights.com/malibu-wheretobuy.php

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:24:48 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like when
brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg

Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't
remember and the tag is lost.

Those are lupines, a really nice perennial. No idea what variety, but
yours are lovely!

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

news
wrote:

This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like
when
brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg

Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't
remember and the tag is lost.

Those are lupines, a really nice perennial. No idea what variety, but
yours are lovely!

Thank you very much. I will write that in my gardening book.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

on 6/9/2009 10:47 AM (ET) brooklyn1 wrote the following:
news

"willshak" wrote:

[...]

I never said I buffed and coated the panels 'out of the box'. The
buffing and coating was done after they clouded over, as an experiment,
like buffing plastic headlights when they cloud up, to see if they would
regain their operation. They did for a while.

Malibu makes cheaper (plastic) solar lights too, they also make low voltage
lights, but these are made very substantially of cast aluminum and
beautifully finished, I got the ones with the pewter finish:
http://www.malibulights.com/index.ph...&pi d=LZ14001

When I bought them it was simply an impulse purchase, I did no research,
they just looked nice and the price was right. Initially I wanted solar
lights for markers at the foot of my driveway but soon realized it wouldn't
be such a good idea as anyone passing could make off with them, so I put
them in back at my deck.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

wrote:

This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like when
brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg

Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't
remember and the tag is lost.

Those are lupines, a really nice perennial. No idea what variety, but
yours are lovely!

Now if the OP had just been a Monty Python fan... bg
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

And there are now solar lamps that do emit
enough light to illuminate relatively large areas and/or throw light a
distance sufficient for a flag atop a pole.

Well, illuminating a flag atop a pole is pretty far down my priority
list. I might get to it one day, after I alphabetize my soup cans. But
when I was browsing HD recently I checked out the lumen specs on solar
lights and they were just a shade less bright than a single briquette of
glowing charcoal. I don't remember seeing any that were more than 10 or
12 lumens, which would be enough to read 24 point type by if you had
about 50 of them focused on one spot. Tell me more about these new ones
that you've found. Source? Manufacturer? Lumen spec?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

those solar lights don't actually "illuminate" anything around them. They
just glow in the dark.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

And there are now solar lamps that do emit
enough light to illuminate relatively large areas and/or throw light a
distance sufficient for a flag atop a pole.

Well, illuminating a flag atop a pole is pretty far down my priority
list. I might get to it one day, after I alphabetize my soup cans. But
when I was browsing HD recently I checked out the lumen specs on solar
lights and they were just a shade less bright than a single briquette of
glowing charcoal. I don't remember seeing any that were more than 10 or
12 lumens, which would be enough to read 24 point type by if you had
about 50 of them focused on one spot. Tell me more about these new ones
that you've found. Source? Manufacturer? Lumen spec?

He didn't say how tall the flagpole was, or its corresponding sized flag
either. That could be a factor regardless the lumens stated. All ones for
that purpose I've seen are using standard electrical power from a meter loop
of some sort. They also have a focusing shroud around such a light. Said
light is pointed at the top of the flagpole to cover all directions the flag
could furl. Guess if you're wearing a low-light detection device, you could
see such a flag illuminated by a solar-powered light.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

Yoose need to think outside your pointy little heads. Solar lighting has
come a long way since the last time yoose opened your moth eaten miser
purses. Harnessing solar power is the future, get used to it.

http://www.solarlighting.com/

http://www.solarlightstore.com/

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

Guess its a matter of perspective. 20 watts of light ain't much. Guess you
may be able to detect a flag atop a flagpole without low-light visual aids
if you've been in the darkness for sometime. Depends how high the flagpole
is too.

http://www.solarlightstore.com/solar...light4pack.cfm
--
Dave

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Jun 13, 9:21*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
om...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,

http://www.solarlightstore.com/solar...lights/integra...
--
Dave

http://www.solarlightstore.com/solar...lightwhite.cfm

Took a quick look at the biggest spotlight at the above store that one
might think would be best suited to get a decent amount of light for a
flag on top of a pole. Look a the specs: 8 LEDS, 5 volts, plastic,
2lbs. If you're trying to make a case for solar, that sure ain't
the way to do it. Stating the light output, how long it will
maintain the light, etc would be a good start.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

Yoose need to think outside your pointy little heads. Solar lighting has
come a long way since the last time yoose opened your moth eaten miser
purses. Harnessing solar power is the future, get used to it.

http://www.solarlighting.com/

http://www.solarlightstore.com/

Well, your first link is to commercial solar. We were talking about
homeowner landscape lighting.

As to the second link, please select from that website, one
self-contained solar-powered landscape light that lists lumen specs, so
I don't have to go wading through the whole site to see what your point
is.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
om...

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

======

What a skank... you picked out the least expensive lamps at the web site...
a set of 5 @ $70.. what do you expect for like $12 each, cast stainless
steel with a 20 year guarantee... duh I think for the price they're a great
buy, better than low voltage sets, and if not abused by stepping on them or
running a lawnmower over them will probably give many years of service.

And you cannot judge illumination by wattage... when I went to school I was
taught that watts is a measure of energy consumed, not output... high
wattage appliances typically consume most power to generate heat... there
are actually idiots out there (many idiots) who buy kitchen mixing machines
by wattage... I guess they wanna use them as hair driers. The same lumens
can be focused or diffused. I have various Mag-Lites that throw very
intense light over great distance, powered by a couple AA cells... would
definitely illuminate a flag atop a 20 ft pole, with a more efficient
battery (such as is typical with solar lights) it would illuminate a flag
all night With solar lights (any lights), depending on use the lower
wattage may very well be the better choice... I have recessed fluorescent
fixtures in my kitchen that give tremendous illumination yet consume very
little wattage. Anyone who discounts solar lighting is truely a pinhead...
some 70 years ago the same kind of pinheads poopooed fluorescent lights. Do
yoose realize that the first automobiles used oil lamps as head lights, now
they use high intensity lamps that are many times more efficient than those
from just a few short years ago... believe it or not there are still many
people (most of the world) who light their homes (when they do) exclusively
with oil lamps and candles... they don't need any stinkin' new fangled
'lectricity. Folks better start getting used to solar energy, it's the
future. The gas station has already been here more than twice as long as it
will exist into the future... your great grandchildren will only know a gas
station in a museum. It really doesn't matter that there will shortly be no
more US made automobiles, it was bound to happen, better sooner than later,
it's the best thing could have happened... need is the mother of invention.
Again the US will be at the forefront. The arabs are again proving that
they are the inferior people, they have more sun than oil, yet what are they
doing about it.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:43:38 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled "brooklyn1" , to say:

Anyone who discounts solar lighting is truely a pinhead...

Well, I can't really imagine why anyone would want solar
lighting. I mean, when the sun is out, can't you see things well
enough?

Sheesh.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

Yoose need to think outside your pointy little heads. Solar lighting has
come a long way since the last time yoose opened your moth eaten miser
purses. Harnessing solar power is the future, get used to it.

http://www.solarlighting.com/

http://www.solarlightstore.com/

Well, your first link is to commercial solar. We were talking about
homeowner landscape lighting.

As to the second link, please select from that website, one
self-contained solar-powered landscape light that lists lumen specs, so
I don't have to go wading through the whole site to see what your point
is.

Does your mommy still hafta wipe your tushy... if it's so important to you
there's an 800 number or send email. Lumens aren't very important with
outdoor lighting... typical indoor lighting reflects off the walls,ceiling,
floors, and furnishings back into the room... outdoor lighting travels to
infinity... type of source/light and how it's concentrated is what's
important... that's why there are floodlights, spot lights, etc.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

[...]

Ah, Shelly's charm offensive (or should that be offensive charm?
Hmmmmm).
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4