Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Dumb question - bead board over plywood?

On Jun 9, 8:40*am, wrote:
I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. *What is
there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. *I like
the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness isn't
substantial enough. *It may end up sagging.

So what I thought I might do is cover the area with plywood first,
then attach the bead board to the plywood. *Or, attach (glue?) the
bead board to the plywood first then install over the ceiling.

Good idea, bad idea?

I'm assuming that these 2X4 appearance "beams" are attached firmly
enough to support the weight of the bead board. The word "appearance"
could imply they are there for show and not really meant to support
anything, either from above or below.

If I were concerned about sagging, and had the time for the extra
labor involved, I'd install blocking between the "joists" as opposed
to the expense of plywood.