Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumb question - bead board over plywood?

I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. What is
there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. I like
the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness isn't
substantial enough. It may end up sagging.

So what I thought I might do is cover the area with plywood first,
then attach the bead board to the plywood. Or, attach (glue?) the
bead board to the plywood first then install over the ceiling.

Good idea, bad idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. What is
there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. I like
the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness isn't
substantial enough. It may end up sagging.

I don't think 1/4" plywood will sag with 16" supports, but I've been
wrong before.

So what I thought I might do is cover the area with plywood first,
then attach the bead board to the plywood.

If you want extra support, your choices are sheet goods and blocking.
Blocking will be cheaper, but more labor.

Or, attach (glue?) the
bead board to the plywood first then install over the ceiling.

The construction adhesive is unneeded, but won't hurt. Don't use _only_
adhesive. You need nails.

Good idea, bad idea?

My suggestion: Paint both sides of the 1/4" plywood, then nail it to
the joists. Fill the joints and nails, then touch up the paint.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 8:40*am, wrote:
I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. *What is
there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. *I like
the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness isn't
substantial enough. *It may end up sagging.

So what I thought I might do is cover the area with plywood first,
then attach the bead board to the plywood. *Or, attach (glue?) the
bead board to the plywood first then install over the ceiling.

Good idea, bad idea?

I'm assuming that these 2X4 appearance "beams" are attached firmly
enough to support the weight of the bead board. The word "appearance"
could imply they are there for show and not really meant to support
anything, either from above or below.

If I were concerned about sagging, and had the time for the extra
labor involved, I'd install blocking between the "joists" as opposed
to the expense of plywood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 7:40*am, wrote:
I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. *What is
there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. *I like
the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness isn't
substantial enough. *It may end up sagging.

So what I thought I might do is cover the area with plywood first,
then attach the bead board to the plywood. *Or, attach (glue?) the
bead board to the plywood first then install over the ceiling.

Good idea, bad idea?

By the time you do a plywood backer and a beadboard sheet... your
expense and time will be more than just getting tongue and groove
cedar or pine. T&G doesn't sag and doesn't require a plywood backer
and you can stain it whatever color. Also the typical beadboard sheet
is just masonite, it will be wavy and it probably wont weather nearly
as well as T&G, and with sheet masonite you'll have to deal with
hiding ugly seems, more time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Jun 9, 7:40 am, wrote:
[...]

Bingo! Use the real stuff to start with. Easier for a DIY anyway, than
cutting and fitting big sheets and getting them to lay smooth overhead.
They sell bead-edge car siding that would be perfect, and is what the
plywood sheets are trying to imitate. Big box likely won't have it
unless it is locally popular, but any real lumberyard should be able to
get it. Assume the wall is crooked for the first row of boards, and
scribe as needed. A chalkline will help. Once you have one straight row,
it goes up pretty fast. An air nailer or screwgun is close to essential-
nailing overhead is a killer even for young strong people who do it
every day.

And yes, 1/4" ply will sag if it gets damp and is subject to temp
swings. I ended up having to apply a grid of surface trim to disguise a
sagging carport ceiling skinned with the stuff. Looks okay, but should
used 3/8 to start with.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 7:27*pm, aemeijers wrote:
RickH wrote:
On Jun 9, 7:40 am, wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Another tip, if you lay it at 45 degrees you dont even have to care if
the room is square or if you get the first row straight.

A cheap 1.25 inch brad nailer and a small compressor is probably good
enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 7:40*am, wrote:
I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. *What is
there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. *I like
the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness isn't
substantial enough. *It may end up sagging.

So what I thought I might do is cover the area with plywood first,
then attach the bead board to the plywood. *Or, attach (glue?) the
bead board to the plywood first then install over the ceiling.

Good idea, bad idea?

If you use T&G be sure to randomize each row so the butt seems never
line up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something.

How about 1/4" T1-11 siding

http://www.lancasterbarns.com/acatal...ge-section.jpg and

http://www.joneslumber.com/plywood.shtml#structural

T1-11 Siding Prem. 6-Patch 8"oc SYP (4x8) T1-11 Siding Prem. 6-Patch
4"oc SYP (4x8) T1-11 Siding Prem. 6-Patch Plain SYP (4x8)
T1-11 Siding CLR WPF 8"oc (4x8) T1-11 Siding CLR WPF 4"oc (4x8) T1-11
Siding CLR WPF Plain (4x8)

Posted to alt.home.repair

or http://www.fingerlakesconstruction.com/duratemp.htm