Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cracks on new concrete slab ?

On Jun 9, 4:57*am, wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:36:24 -0700 (PDT), fredinstl

wrote:
Hello all,

I would appreciate if you could share with me your thoughts, regarding
a remodeling I just completed on my 1 story ranch, slab/no basement in
St Louis MO: extending a 1 car garage into a 2 car garage.

They got rid of the old slab (on the one car garage) and then poured a
new one for the 2 car garage 19' x 19'.
After less than a month, it has now 4 cracks (cracks 1 to 3 intersects
in middle):
1- from North wall going South of garage: 5' long, from 1/4" to 1/16"
wide
2- from West wall going East: 11' long, from 1/8" to 1/16" wide
3- from East wall going West: 12' long, 1/8" to 1/16" wide
4- *from Entrance (South) going North: 7' long, 1/32" wide

you can see pictures thehttp://picasaweb.google.com/fredinst...hkey=Gv1sRgCJu...

My contractors talked to the concrete guy and here what he is
proposing:
1/ fix the cracks with caulking etc...
2/ wait one year, if it gets worse: redo the whole slab, and if it
doesn't get worse: fix the cracks as in 1/

Not sure what my expectations should be ? Should I ask to redo it
now ?
thanks.
Fred

I would not settle for anything except complete replacement. *In one
month there should be no cracks at all, other than those hairline
cracks that all concrete gets. *What you show is caused by complete
failure of the concrete, and probably because of the base under it.
plus lack of reinforcing wire or rebar. *In a few more months you'll
have heaving and settling. *Plus, how would they install a new slab
after the garage is built? *Tell them to replace it, or contact a
lawyer.- Hide quoted text -

I would push hard for replacement now too. Unfortunately, this is
one of those things where it's arguable what constitutes acceptable or
what an acceptable remedy is. But for it to be this bad after a few
weeks, clearly doesn't look good.

Like others have asked, I'd like to know how the base was prepared,
how deep it was poured, reinforced, etc. Also, besides their
proposed caulking, what exactly did they have to say about why it
happened? Did they claim it was normal?

I'd also get the building inspector to look at it and see what he has
to say. You do have a permit, right? Another thing that may help
would be if you can make a case that to replace it now will be
significantly less expensive than replacing it a year from now.