Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

In article ,
jtpryan wrote:
...snipped...
Actually, I think you are confusing switches and routers. The DSL
modem connects to a router, preferably wireless and typically with a
built in 4 port switch. Then you can connect 4 wired devices and
numerous wireless devices to that. If you want to connect more then 4
wired devices you can then buy a 4, 8, or 16 port switch, connect it
to one of the ports on the router and get more. The router isn't a
true firewall, but does provide an acceptable level of defense for
most home networks via "NATing" or Network Address Translation.

I don't know what kind of hardware AT&T is using, but Verizon very
commonly uses a Westell 6100 or similar DSL modem which has basic router
features as well as being a DSL modem, including DHCP. All you need to do is
add a switch, maybe $20 OR $30 for a 4 port unit. It won't do NAT IIRC,
but it will allow assigning an internet-routable IP address to 1 device on
the local net.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)