Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Who is liable?

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message

It turns out that all the problems I had with the A/C and furnace were all
a result of the HVAC guys not knowing what they were doing. I have now
confirmed it rather than it being a hunch.

Besides the fact that the HVAC guys didn't test the A/C when they
installed it (I don't care if it was Fall/Winter, you still test), they
hooked up the condensate line for the A/C (from the furnace) into the
*output* line of my sump pump. I have 2 lines, both are output, from my
sump pump which are used for varying water depths. They hooked up the
condensate line to the output line that is used as the backup to the
primary one. So when the water got too high for the primary pump to handle
it the secondary pump kicked in and pumped the water out.

Unfortunately water was then pumped into the condensate line thus blocking
it and possibly forcing water into the furnace.

You need Judge Judy. What is the monetary damages? An attorney can get
this fixed, but the cure may cost more than the damages. Small claims court
is an option.

I don't trust home inspectors. That said, I don't think many would have
caught this. They would look at the drain line and say "yep, condensate
drain is hooked up, OK" and move on. I'm not sure the HVAC guys actually
understood the sump setup with two pumps, but perhaps they should have
asked.

I'd put together a list of cost, outline the problem, take a few photos, and
them present it to the HVAC guys. They may pay, offer a portion, or tell
you where to go. Then you can decide the next step to take. They may have
liability coverage to handle it all. Don't approach this as a raving
lunatic consumer, but rather as a business person with a problem. Present
the problem, show the solution, request damages.