Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Basement air conditioner

willshak wrote:
on 5/22/2009 9:31 AM (ET) wrote the following:
Hi,

We are thinking of finishing our basement. Right now it is semi-
finished with painted cinder blocks, nice rug, open ceiling with
flourescent tube lighting.

The plan is to put up studs and sheet rock the walls and also sheet
rock the ceiling or do a drop ceiling. I'm kind of leaning towards
a drop ceiling because there's a lot of wires running along the
sides of the walls near the ceiling and it is very convenient to
have easy access to that area.

The windows down here are small and I don't think an air conditioner
could be fit into them.

Does anyone know of any air conditioner that would work well in a
basement. I've heard of units that have part of the unit installed
outside and part inside the basement. I guess that's kind of like a
small central ac. If anyone knows anything about that type of ac I
would appreciate any info on it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

How deep is your basement buried in the ground? Mine is about 7 feet
into the ground on all four sides and I don't need AC down there.
The temps down there never go above 75 F in the Summer (never below
62 F in the winter). I do have a portable dehumidifier that I turn on
if it gets too humid, but it hasn't been turned on in years.

Its called a split system, a number of manufacturers and used around the
world. Google it if you really want some information.