Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement air conditioner

Hi,

We are thinking of finishing our basement. Right now it is semi-
finished with painted cinder blocks, nice rug, open ceiling with
flourescent tube lighting.

The plan is to put up studs and sheet rock the walls and also sheet
rock the ceiling or do a drop ceiling. I'm kind of leaning towards a
drop ceiling because there's a lot of wires running along the sides of
the walls near the ceiling and it is very convenient to have easy
access to that area.

The windows down here are small and I don't think an air conditioner
could be fit into them.

Does anyone know of any air conditioner that would work well in a
basement. I've heard of units that have part of the unit installed
outside and part inside the basement. I guess that's kind of like a
small central ac. If anyone knows anything about that type of ac I
would appreciate any info on it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Does anyone know of any air conditioner that would work well in a
basement. I've heard of units that have part of the unit installed
outside and part inside the basement. I guess that's kind of like a
small central ac. If anyone knows anything about that type of ac I
would appreciate any info on it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Ductless systems. Mitsubishi is one maker of them. Here is a Sanyo
http://www.minisplitsystems.com/cgi/...FQO2FQodYXc73g

I have no idea how well they work or how reliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 8:31*am, " wrote:
[...]

my basement only needs a dehumidifier, if house has Ac and basement
ducts maybe that will work. I had to insulate my ducts because the
basement got to cold when the AC was on. Maybe your system has the
capacity to do the basement. I put in adjustable vents in the basement
off the main system. Window units are usualy not as efficient as whole
house systems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 10:09*am, ransley wrote:
On May 22, 8:31*am, " wrote:

[...]

house systems.- Hide quoted text -

We don't have central in the house. Maybe one day but not anytime
soon I don't think. I guess if we were going to do it now would be a
good time while everything is still open here in the basement. Maybe
I'll have the guy that's doing it put in some duct work for the
future. He mentioned doing that when he was here looking at the job.

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone know of any air conditioner that would work well in a
basement. *I've heard of units that have part of the unit installed

I have a finished walk out basement with central air. I have to close
all of the vents in the basement because it gets way to cold down
there with the air on. It is comfortable down there without air. You
may not need air down there but you sure will need heat in the winter
time. You should have duct work ran for heat/air now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:07*am, wrote:
Does anyone know of any air conditioner that would work well in a
basement. *I've heard of units that have part of the unit installed

I have a finished walk out basement with central air. *I have to close
all of the vents in the basement because it gets way to cold down
there with the air on. *It is comfortable down there without air. *You
may not need air down there but you sure will need heat in the winter
time. *You should have duct work ran for heat/air now.

There is already a radiator down here that heats this side of the
basement. Hot water radiator heat in this house except in the kitchen
which is newer and has baseboard heating.

It gets plenty hot down here in the summer unfortunately.

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
Does anyone know of any air conditioner that would work well in a
basement. I've heard of units that have part of the unit installed

I have a finished walk out basement with central air. I have to close
all of the vents in the basement because it gets way to cold down
there with the air on. It is comfortable down there without air. You
may not need air down there but you sure will need heat in the winter
time. You should have duct work ran for heat/air now.

He might not need the cooling effect, but don't discount *drying* the air in
the summertime humidity (depending on where the op livees)

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Usually basement is cool even in summer time. If you do drop ceiling will
there be enough head room? I think a/c will be last thing to mind.
After basement is completely finished, then a/c or dehumidifier or
whatever. Cold air sinks.

There are basements and there are basements. My house in Philly was never
cool. Marginal, OK for utilitarian purposes, but not for summer comfort in
a family room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:56*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

whatever. Cold air sinks. Ductless split system works well. My downtown
condo has one. It came with remote and it can control temp. fan speed,
direction of air stream.- Hide quoted text -

I am thinking of moving my basement and putting it above the attic.
Since cold air sinks, my basement is always much cooler than the rest
of the house. If I move the basement to above the attic, the cold air
will sink down and cool the rest of the house.

Yeah, I know, get at least 3 bids before hiring a contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

We are thinking of finishing our basement. Right now it is semi-
finished with painted cinder blocks, nice rug, open ceiling with
flourescent tube lighting.

Other than the lights, sounds like how we started with a basement once that
we finished off.

The plan is to put up studs and sheet rock the walls and also sheet
rock the ceiling or do a drop ceiling. I'm kind of leaning towards a
drop ceiling because there's a lot of wires running along the sides of
the walls near the ceiling and it is very convenient to have easy
access to that area.

We put paneling up on the exterior walls (with proper waterbarrier and
insulation behind) and drywalled the rest. The ceiling we drywalled in the
family room, but in the pool table room, which had minimal wires and things
to deal with in the ceiling, we stained the rafters in a cherry-wood tone
and made little wood 'boxes' for the few wires. (It happened to have a
ceiling there with suitable wood for that treatment). In the kitchenette
and batthoom as well as bedroom, we did a dropped ceiling as there was stuff
above that would potentially need access at times. Being as it was a tall
room to start with (9ft), dropped ceiling was no issue. We used corner
molding which we pre-stained the same cherry, to cover where the dropped
ceiling met the stained rafter part (covered all joints basically).

The windows down here are small and I don't think an air conditioner
could be fit into them.

Until you do the central AC, consider a portable? This may work well for
you and most of them are also dehumidifiers. I have one in my sunroom.
Works nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

family room, but in the pool table room, which had minimal wires and things
to deal with in the ceiling, we stained the rafters in a cherry-wood tone
and made little wood 'boxes' for the few wires. *(It happened to have a
ceiling there with suitable wood for that treatment).

Years ago when I used to paint we did a basement for a doctor. We
sprayed the ceiling black. It turned out real nice actually. The
black paint made everything sorta disappear yet everything was still
accessible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Years ago when I used to paint we did a basement for a doctor. We
sprayed the ceiling black. It turned out real nice actually. The
black paint made everything sorta disappear yet everything was still
accessible.

Smile, that does work too. On ships (I'm retired Navy) we do that in rooms
that have to be dark to maintain night-vision for bridge workers. I've seen
many a navy person since finish off a basement or such with the same simple
spray treatment. Just depends on how you want the room to be used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 22 May 2009 06:31:36a, told us...

[...]

True that window units probably won't fit, and ductless units may require
too much room on the portion of wall that's above ground.

You might consider one of the "portable airconditions" like those shown
he

http://www.portableairshop.com/

They only require a small duct to the outside similar to what a clothes
dryer requres.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The inventor of soda crackers has a place in hell. ~Martin H. Fischer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

"required" must be a relative term. I don't have a dryer vent in my
basement so I let the dryer vent into the basement. I don't have any
lint issues and a less-than-damp-puddle is all that results when I dry
clothes. Maybe it makes the dryer run harder/longer but I haven't
noticed any issues so I'd say that "required" isn't really the right term.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 23 May 2009 10:41:47p, Brandon McCombs told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

Let's say "recommended" then. My dryer is in a first floor utility room
adjacent to the kitchen. I wouldn't want heated air added to our indoor
environment, even in an Arizona winter. I also wouldn't want any amount of
puddle on a finished floor. Our exhaust duct is less than 18 inches,
hardly a concern for lint buildup, but easy to clean out if there was one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Proust had his madeleines; I am devastated by the scent of yeast

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message

"required" must be a relative term. I don't have a dryer vent in my
basement so I let the dryer vent into the basement. I don't have any lint
issues and a less-than-damp-puddle is all that results when I dry clothes.
Maybe it makes the dryer run harder/longer but I haven't noticed any
issues so I'd say that "required" isn't really the right term.

If not required, certainly recommended. Over time that moisture can still
cause problems as you dump moist air into the house. Could even take a few
years to see the results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote
"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message

"required" must be a relative term. I don't have a dryer vent in my
basement so I let the dryer vent into the basement. I don't have any lint
issues and a less-than-damp-puddle is all that results when I dry
clothes. Maybe it makes the dryer run harder/longer but I haven't noticed
any issues so I'd say that "required" isn't really the right term.

If not required, certainly recommended. Over time that moisture can still
cause problems as you dump moist air into the house. Could even take a few
years to see the results.

Naw, I'm with Brandon here. If it's a big cement basement, not an issue
provided he has reasonable ventilation.

Brandon, the dust is the only issue and it's real easy to 'internal vent' a
dryer. Take an old 1 gallon plastic milk carton and cut off the top. Take
some plastic screen material and cut a hole to fit the vent piece then tape
this to the milk carton. Partly fill with water. You now vent into a
bucket of water which will trap most of the dust.

That dust over years can accumulate and pose a fire hazard potentially.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

willshak wrote:
on 5/22/2009 9:31 AM (ET) wrote the following:
[...]

How deep is your basement buried in the ground? Mine is about 7 feet
into the ground on all four sides and I don't need AC down there.
The temps down there never go above 75 F in the Summer (never below
62 F in the winter). I do have a portable dehumidifier that I turn on
if it gets too humid, but it hasn't been turned on in years.

Its called a split system, a number of manufacturers and used around the
world. Google it if you really want some information.