Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default Electric Hot Water Heater

You should be able to test continuity, a working coil will check OK with an OHM meter. Disconnect the power and test them and see if they have continuity from one side of the coil to the other and then the other one and compare readings. If one doesn't conduct you've found your problem and it needs to be replaced.

Rich
"John" wrote in message ...
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.