Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Hot Water Heater

Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You should be able to test continuity, a working coil will check OK with an OHM meter. Disconnect the power and test them and see if they have continuity from one side of the coil to the other and then the other one and compare readings. If one doesn't conduct you've found your problem and it needs to be replaced.

Rich
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH
without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure
to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power
to both elements. Thanks for any input.

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH
without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure
to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power
to both elements. Thanks for any input.

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Everytime I mention my cold water heater to anyone I get strange responses.
I have also noticed that when I touch my water heater it seems more hot than
cold so I am really confused as to just what kind of water heater I do have.
;)

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Young" wrote in message

"1D10T" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH
without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best
procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was.
There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Everytime I mention my cold water heater to anyone I get strange
more hot than cold so I am really confused as to just what kind of water
heater I do have.

It's a WWH - I know cuz I have one too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 6:41�pm, "John" wrote:
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on �HWH without draining it? �And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. �I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. �Thanks for �any input.

First, most water heaters have a 6 year warranty. The manufacturer MAY
send you new parts if the water heater is less than 6 years old.

Second, all parts may be functioning properly. Many times sludge and
other "stuff" build up in the bottom of the tank to the point that it
covers the lower element. I fthe lower element is covered with debris,
it will not produce the effects that you are use to.

Third, To drain a water heater, run a hose from the drain valve to a
drain that is LOWER than the water heater. Then open valve. If water
does not drain, or drains slow, then you definately have build up in
the tank. To drain the tank with build up, it can be VERY messy and
time consuming. Be cautious.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/8/2009 7:27 PM (ET) 1D10T wrote the following:
"John" wrote in message
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH
without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure
to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power
to both elements. Thanks for any input.

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Google "hot water heater" with the quotes. I get 1,350,000 hits, and
many are from companies selling them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH
without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best
procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was.
There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Google "hot water heater" with the quotes. I get 1,350,000 hits, and many
are from companies selling them.

Because they understand that many people think they're called HWH's, and
that's their search term.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 4:43*am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Jun 8, 6:41 pm, "John" wrote:

Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.

All the necessary testing can be performed without draining the tank.

First, most water heaters have a 6 year warranty. The manufacturer MAY
send you new parts if the water heater is less than 6 years old.

Second, all parts may be functioning properly. Many times sludge and
other "stuff" build up in the bottom of the tank to the point that it
covers the lower element. I fthe lower element is covered with debris,
it will not produce the effects that you are use to.

Third, To drain a water heater, run a hose from the drain valve to a
drain that is LOWER than the water heater. Then open valve. If water
does not drain, or drains slow, then you definately have build up in
the tank. To drain the tank with build up, it can be VERY messy and
time consuming. Be cautious.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Google "hot water heater" with the quotes. I get 1,350,000 hits, and many
are from companies selling them.

Because they understand that many people think they're called HWH's, and
that's their search term.

Sort of like a tea kettle. How many have tea in them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 6:27*pm, "1D10T" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on *HWH
without draining it? *And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure
to do the test. *I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power
to both elements. *Thanks for *any input.

HWH? Somebody else say it. * :-)

If the water was hot...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"1D10T" wrote in message

HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Google "hot water heater" with the quotes. I get 1,350,000 hits, and
many are from companies selling them.

Because they understand that many people think they're called HWH's,
and that's their search term.

Sort of like a tea kettle. How many have tea in them?

And we drive on parkways and park on driveways.

Electric water heater - repalced everything still no hot water Mark Home Repair 4 September 19th 06 10:06 PM
Electric Water Heater Grounded to Copper Water Pipes? [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 30th 05 07:23 PM
electric water heater Ed Home Repair 4 December 7th 04 05:37 PM
electric water heater mmzz UK diy 4 January 6th 04 11:20 AM
Electric water heater Bob Home Repair 17 September 9th 03 01:03 AM