Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Battery Shelf Life

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Other, less cheeful thought. I live in NY, but I
personally
know of at least two people who have had generators
stolen.

F-ing thieves should be shot on sight.(I've been a victim)

CY: Sad to hear that, Jim. You save your money, and buy a
much needed generator, and it disappears. That's no good.

well,it was my Acura Integra GS-R,not a generator.
First had the ECU stolen off it(unusable for 6 weeks),then a few years
later they stole the whole car(and my tools),stripped it and torched it.
Gone in 60 seconds,literally,despite alarm and anti-theft measures.
I didn't even have a chance for a single shot.

2 neighbors had their motorcyles stolen within a week(I saw one
happen!),another one had her bicycle stolen off her screened patio.

If you bought name brand alkaline batteries (Energizer,
Duracell, Rayovac) they should be fine. As others have
said,
keep them cool but not frozen. Refrigerator may be
overkill.
But they should be stored in a cellar, or at floor level.
Dry can be accomplished by storing the batteries in screw
cap jar, wtih a dessicant packet.

Duracells leak more often than other brands I've used.
(except for Harbor Freights "Thunderbolt" cells;those were
horrible.)
I don't use Duracells any more.

CY: I've had good results with the HF batteries. I had some
that looked a little like Duracell "Infinity Beyond" from
Ebay. they were out of date, and about 1/6 of them leaked.
AAA cells, was the size. Others have written that Duracells
leak. And other people write that Energizer has good quality
control, and seldom leak.

I bought a box of the HF Thunderbolt AAA alkalines,and half leaked before I
got to use them,in just a short time.
Some of the ones in use also leaked.

--
Jim Yanik